Shark fishermen at Redondo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JollyWaffl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was out diving Veteran's Park a week ago, and there was a group of ocean fishing lines set up on the beach. Didn't think anything of it until I got underwater and saw the size of the line and hooks they were using. My buddy later asked around about these guys, and heard they're fishing great whites, possibly for sport.

Anyone else know anything about this?

My buddy later asked around about these guys, and heard they're fishing great whites, possibly for sport.
It's illegal to fish for Great Whites. If that's what they're doing, report them to the police or Baywatch at the Redondo Pier and let them handle it.

That's what I suspected. However, they've supposedly been reported before, and they claimed to be doing research. Thought I'd ask here in case anyone knows more.

Will take photos of the lines next time I see them.

I've heard of a group fishing at vets for sharks. I've seen pics posted of a shark parts that were cut and laying on the sand. Discovered by divers. These ppl are ****

That's what I suspected. However, they've supposedly been reported before, and they claimed to be doing research. Thought I'd ask here in case anyone knows more.

Will take photos of the lines next time I see them.

Research with a hook? Can you cut the lines without giving yourself away?

Come to think of it, how would one go about getting a pissed off great white shark with a hook in its mouth out of the surf without losing a limb?

I think they were hooking something else, like the observers. I've seen one juvenile GW at Hermosa Reef, none at Redondo. I suppose it's possible, but I've never heard of anyone seeing a Great White near Redondo. If they were really trying to catch one for "research" they should have gone to Manhattan Beach Pier where juveniles are spotted all the time.

I and a few of my friends have had a few juvenile sightings swimming at theTorrance ramp last couple years

Back
Top Bottom