Mk19 + d420 whistling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today it did it again, albeit briefly. At the same time the D420, bench tested to be in spec, kept free flowing. The whole set is going back to the manufacturer, I will keep you posted on the outcome

I am getting my Mk19 and D420 back from rsingler this week. On a lot of the Mk19's he noticed a diaphragm issue Here us what he told me about mine

"That said, just as happened to me with my two Mk19's from the factory, yours was slightly out of spec at 146.5psi Intermediate Pressure at 500 psi tank (spec 125-145 from 500-3000 psi tank).
See this thread: MK15/20/25/19 How about that?

In your case, the environmental seal was also bulging,

and your diaphragm was not tightened to spec (35 newton-meters).
I tightened the case to spec, flattened the seal, and retuned the reg to 140 psi at low tank, yielding 134 psi at 3000 tank.

I'm not sure I'd recommend anything else for now on your first stage. If you own an IP gauge, just check it for stability and IP creep. If it's stable, there's nothing to service for 1-2 years. "

Today it did it again, albeit briefly. At the same time the D420, bench tested to be in spec, kept free flowing. The whole set is going back to the manufacturer, I will keep you posted on the outcome
I'm making a few assumptions here, so bear with me. A reg set performing within specification will not freeflow, unless you dip it into a sink or the ocean mouthpiece up. So my first assumption is that your second stage was tested by itself against "standard" intermediate pressure (around 135 psi).
So if your reg is freeflowing and your Mk19 is whistling, I'll hazard a guess that maybe there is a high pressure seat flaw, occasionally allowing excessive intermediate pressure to get to the second stage, which will cause a freeflow, since the second stage valve was tuned against a lower supply pressure. In this case, the freeflow would be your second stage acting as a relief valve for your first stage.
I'm surprised your LDS didn't just open it up and service it, or open it up and identify the manufacturing flaw that is causing your problem. I'd say they're taking the lazy way out. Granted, they won't get any money out of it, but that's not how I'd treat a customer.

Thank you guys for the answer. I believe I am getting good help from my LDS owner, who is a real friend. The unit is new so I'd rather have it tested and evaluated directly by the manufacturer but that's me.
Just a couple of additional info/clarification:
The free flowing did not seem to happen at dry. When we put it on the bench yesterday we checked it against the mk19 IP.

A conundrum!
Please let us know what you find out!

And my apologies to your LDS. Getting the factory to comment is the better course. But my guess is they'll just send him a new set, and you'll never hear why.

A conundrum!
Please let us know what you find out!

And my apologies to your LDS. Getting the factory to comment is the better course. But my guess is they'll just send him a new set, and you'll never hear why.
Thank you, no offense taken. Of course I'll keep you posted

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom