ball joint arms and floats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danielk

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have finally decided to add video light to my camera (for both video and stils photography). I use a Canon S100 + Ikelite housing and a tray (just to make it more stable).
I'm missing two items - arms and floats.
First the arms - I noticed there are two types of arms framed

upload_2021-3-11_15-55-54.png

and straight

upload_2021-3-11_15-56-22.png

Which one would you recommend and what is the difference between them?

Also, what type of floats should i go with? After some reading it seems that I prefer foam floats (like the Stix).
What do you think?

I feel that the more I read about it, the more confused I get.
I will be grateful for any suggestions in this field

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-11_15-54-31.png
    upload_2021-3-11_15-54-31.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 78
  • upload_2021-3-11_15-55-16.png
    upload_2021-3-11_15-55-16.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 82
I use the foam floats on my SL1 in an Ikelite housing. I have the framed arms and love em. They allow me to mount other sockets for the housing. I have a couple small video lights mounted on the arms. Could not do that with the straight. You can also use the arms to clip a line to using a bolt snap for use as a carry handle and to clip to you when you need both hands free. I paid $400 for my arms from ultralight. Worth every penny. Arms - ULCS

Most of the foam floats will fit both types of arms. I really have to push my self to find a good reason to choose one over the other. I suppose apart from quality and price comparison, probably I would choose the bracket type because I might easily fix stuff on it using a zip tie in case I need to.

I am an unrepentant cheap bastard. I bought the arms and clamps on alibaba (aliexpress.com) and am hard-pressed to tell the difference between them and the ultralite products (except for $$). For floats, I'm using fishing net floats from Memphis Net and Twine Company (memphisnet.net). These: Float, PVC Sponge, 3 in. dia. by 3 in., Rust

The floats do not compress at depth (disclaimer: I've only had them down to 100')

Good luck. . . underwater camera systems are very much like performance cars: "Speed costs, how fast do you want to spend"

I use carbon fiber 1" float arms plus stix foam. Both have held up well for years but the arms show some wear especially near the ball. I use a carrying lanyard which I clip to the arms at the ball. The arms and especially the bigger ones take up more space when travelling. Tho the frame arms will need more foats which take up space as well - That could be more or less a wash. I did forget my foam floats on a trip once and could still manage it with just the 1' float arms. If you use a carrying lanyard, you may want to check where you clip it as it may affect your decison on arms. Mine are not on the camera housing and I remove the lanyard, shoot and replace it under water. Btw I suggest a lanyard if you hand up or receive your camera to/from a boat as some will handle it by the arms, strobes, cables, to make it easier to carry and reduce stress on one handle and/or tray.

I am the same cheap bastard and see no reason to pay for “floats”. Went down to my local marine store and bought deep sea floats for $6.00 each. Cut them in half lengthwise enlarged the channel so the arm just fits and glued them back together using plumbing glue. Have 50 plus dives on the first set I did with almost no degradation. Just did another set as I added video lights. Total cost - about $20. I have both kinds of arms - no functional difference for me. The single pole fits better in the hole in the foam but otherwise both work.

PS. If you go with fishing floats they need to be the rigid kind not the soft mushy kind. Used for deep sea nets so they don’t collapse under pressure.

Thank you all,

I think I know what I want.
I will go with the framed arm as it will allow me to connect a lanyard (in the future) and other things to it. Also it will allow a custom size foam on it (it will be easier to adjust the camera trim in the water). Also, will go with a foam floats (like the Stix). I think it will be more compact and easy to travel with plus, I will be able to customize and adjust it.
I also have nothing against saving some money and will probably buy the arm and the foam floats from Aliexpress (i wouldn't buy a bladder from Aliexpress but, haw bad can they mess up with just an aluminum stick and some foam, right?).

While looking at the various setups and arms, I noticed that most setups use 2 arms and each arm is built from two segments (usually 5 and 8 inch). This made my wonder - since I will start with only one arm and one video light (no strobes), I do not see any advantage in a segmented arm (it seems I will be able to move a single arm connected to the light and the top tray handle with a clamp to any position I want). Also, may be there is no need for an arm altogether and just connect the light to the top of tray handle with only one Clamp (but I think that in this case it will be harder to add floats and make the camera entirely leveled).

What do you think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom