Missing Diver Off Vandenberg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know the actual current speed, but I remember pulling down a line hand-over-hand with great effort, legs flying "in the breeze" to a wreck off Pompano. On the way back up the ball was several feet underwater and we decided to drift and wait for a pick-up when the boat returned. The current on the wreck wasn't so bad, but nearer the surface it was rippin'.

I don't know the actual current speed, but I remember pulling down a line hand-over-hand with great effort, legs flying "in the breeze" to a wreck off Pompano. On the way back up the ball was several feet underwater and we decided to drift and wait for a pick-up when the boat returned. The current on the wreck wasn't so bad, but nearer the surface it was rippin'.

Did a dive on the Lady Luck that was like that. Deco diving was prohibited, and most people skipped the second dive.

You always drift off the fixed ball for live pick up.

We had jon lines for the deco stops, but when we got close to the ball throbbing up and down, we bailed.

The boat had gone to pick up some other folks diving the reefs, and we weren't sure how long we'd have to drift. But getting near a ball being dragged underwater by the current was a bit intense.

We had jon lines for the deco stops, but when we got close to the ball throbbing up and down, we bailed.

The boat had gone to pick up some other folks diving the reefs, and we weren't sure how long we'd have to drift. But getting near a ball being dragged underwater by the current was a bit intense.
The boat should be around for deco divers.
Not a very good arrangement if the boat has to go somewhere else.

Far far too many divers of various experiences do not carry any signaling device. Shocking.

It was a 2-person class and the instructor knows the dive operation (and operators) really well. And it was a very light deco dive, not much hang time (deco procedures class.)

Speaking of drifting, I've drifted rather far off-topic - sorry!

granny lines
Someone has to jump in first and tie a secure line from the boat to the buoy.
Next person jump in and make sure to grab hold on that line and pull. If the current is really bad then that diver would have to jump in while holding another line assist by an assistant on the boat in case he/she missed that crucial line and carried away by the current.
Done that before.
Waited on the surface until buddy arrived and immediate descend.
Can't do that on a guided dive.

Back
Top Bottom