Best Places in the World for Dive Master & Instructor Training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, my parents were rather poor when they were married. My father just had a good education. My father was very good at investments and my parents were quite frugal. However, I did grow up priviledged with having my university degree paid for. I will concede that. One of my roommates who did come from a wealthy family had to pay for his own university, worked incredibly hard, and I have the utmost respect for the guy. Mind you, this was back in the 90s before the cost of living and tuition really shot up.

You obviously don't understand American history.

Not quite. As a decent human being that has done a lot of volunteer work internationally and domestically, I actually do care about the conditions from which they are escaping and why those conditions exist.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

So, when I joined a medical team in Northwest Tanzania (I actually did ride a banana boat across Lake Victoria), it was packaged tour?

Or when I spent time in an orphanage in Guatemala, that was a packaged tour?

Well, I'll be d@mned! LOL

You shouldn't make such assumptions as you do make yourself look foolish.

Now pleasure trips, oh in the 20 odd times I've been to Greece, I have rented cars and driven all over the country, hopped on boats and been all over the islands. Dominican Republic? Oh that made the driving in Greece look easy!

Never a packaged tour anywhere ever.

But thanks for playing!
American history since when?
Does it include the First Nation?
The rest is just your words!
What was the motive to drive your father to USA?
Same as the OP's dream, no difference.

American history since when?
Does it include the First Nation?
Well, you did mention the Mayflower.

The rest is just your words!

I have absolutely no idea what this means.

What was the motive to drive your father to USA?
It was supposed to be temporary. Then the oil embargo happened.....

Same as the OP's dream, no difference.
Not even close, but okay.

Shall we get back to the original topic? OP wants to become a dive pro. OP has gotten advice to not be in an exploitable situation as many dive pros have experienced. OP has received advice to always have funds to be able to return home in case they are unfortunate enough to wind up in such an exploitable situation where they don't have the money to return unless they stay until the end of their contract and their employer pays for it.

It is that simple. Go for it, but take off the rose colored glasses, and have the funds to escape if need be.

You won't travel the world as a divemaster.
Period.
Divemasters are usually paid by tips which are divided among the boat crew. Some countries have employment laws prohibiting hiring foreign divemasters and a minimum instructor certification is required to work legally.
If you are a working divemaster and you earn enough to cover the cost of your your insurance then you are considered highly successful.

Do not become a zero to hero instructor. Take your time and get AOW and rescue locally or on separate trips and enjoy a variety of diving. When someone asks where is a good place to dive, you should be the one giving the answer. Develop your skills over a period of years instead of weeks. I have noticed that instructors who become instructors very quickly don't usually stay instructors for a long time. Maybe because they choose a career in something they didn't have enough experience in to know if they actually liked it or not.
Get nitrox and dry suit certified.
Work or volunteer for a while as a DM.
Hopefully, you will know by this point if you really want to pull the trigger on being an instructor.
Despite what the naysayers are telling you, it is possible to live in a shack on the beach with your dive gear as your most valuable possessions, dive every day, and be very happy without any money. Money won't make you happy.

Good luck.

Would you like a friendly wager that the OP was not born with nothing? :wink::poke::yeahbaby::rofl3:
It does not matter! OP never mentioned her up-bringing, parents etc etc.
You were the one who brought up the subject first.
You were the one who brought up the subject on immigrant etc etc.

Read the first post!!!!
I could not find anything wrong with the plan. But some of you just dive in to give all those BS on eg. zero to hero, living in the camp site, money to come home etc etc.
She has never mentioned MONEY issue. Even thinking to go to Australia or Asia to achieve their dream.
Just stick with the question.

Indonesia or Thailand. Philippines is also good but the food is awful.

But not under present climate.

Come on guys, get over it. Go back to OP topic please.
I'm stepping out as this is beyond silly. The ignore button is quite useful, I'll make use of it.

I'm just a simple OW diver with about 60 dives in the murky cold Puget Sound waters of Washington. Went on a club dive once and was buddied up with a guy that had his "instructor" certs. OMG, what a nightmare. The guy had never wore a drysuit before and had no idea how to use it. Our dive was to a feature about 100' down and soon after getting there he motioned to turn around (which I did without question). Found out later that he was using his air very quickly, I still had plenty. After going back up to about 70', he started to lose buoyancy and started to float towards the surface. He made no attempt to swim downwards and I ended up grabbing his fins and pulling him back down. Speaking of fins, I still have absolutely no idea why he ended up taking off his fins and putting then back on ... SEVEN TIMES. I transfer some of my weights (I always carry a few extra pounds) which got us to about 50' before we both ended up popping up towards the surface.

Point is, this guy fast-track his training in warmer waters and ended up being a danger to himself. I wouldn't say that I was worried or panicked during the dive but this was easily my worst dive yet. Get comfortable with your own dives before risking the lives of others.

The OP has only contributed 3 or 4 posts and there was NO mentioning on any fast racking. It was just a dream/plan for the couple. Nothing wrong with that.
It was the assumptions of several who did not bother to read what was being asked!

Where is/are the places to the best of your experience/knowledge would you recommend to them for further training?
Very simple.
You are dealing with two grown ups please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom