Aqualung Legend vs Scubapro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlyStrat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I still have my 1992 Scubapro Mk10/G250.
Kinda want a new regulator.
How good is the Legend?
Does it breath easy?
Or is my vintage regulator better?

I still have my 1992 Scubapro Mk10/G250.
Kinda want a new regulator.
How good is the Legend?
Does it breath easy?
Or is my vintage regulator better?
Your reg is entirely too old to be safe... you should give it to me for proper disposal, lol.
I haven't used the new Legend, but I do know basic function of regs hasn't changed in about 50-60 years..... my kids and I use SP 109's and Aqualung Conshelfs (the old chrome ones), and they still breathe far better than any rental reg I've used (I know part of that is rentals having a tendency to be detuned, but my old chrome still breathes better than I need!). I suspect your G250 (well tuned) will breathe about as well as anything available now.

Respectfully,

James

It’s pretty hard to improve on the G250 and as James points out even older stuff performs great. Maybe look toward the MK 25/19/17 and a G260 for the future, I’m not much of an Aqua lung fan but they are good regulators.

The AL Legend can be tuned to breathe quite easily, even a little easier than the G250. As a service tech I can attest to this. A lot of scubaboarders will argue it is the “best” breathing reg to there. While it is a very reliable second stage modern second stages have been improved on. Second stages today offer something the G250 doesn’t have, a micro adjust that allows the service tech to fine tune it. The G250 was one of the most copied and reliable second stages built. It has been improved upon by Scubapro’s G260 via the micro-adjust and exhalation effort.

The Mk10/G250 will still work for you, although some people, usually those who don’t really know regs, may give you grief it is old and not antiquated.

If you are interested in the Legend go into a shop and check it out. A comparable SP reg will be the Mk17 first stage with a C370, S620, or G260 second stage.

I like the Legend. It breathes super easy at any depth. Personally, I find the 2nd stage ugly as hell so I use my Mares proton metal. Partly cause i like the metal body and the perforated diaphragm cover but it def doesn't breathe as easy as the legend.

Now that you are a Scubaboard junkie, you too can collect regulators and then wonder where all your money went.

I have a Mk19/D420 as well as a G260 and 620Ti second stage (I also have a Mk25 evo) Anyway I have yet to dive the D420 and rsingler tuned both the Mk19 and the D420 for me. I have been told by many that the D420 doesn't breathe all that great on the surface. Comparing those three second stages on the "surface" the G260 breathes the easiest, then the D420/620ti seem tied. The D420 is suppose to excel once underwater so as soon as the ice melts I will give it a whirl. Rsingler noticed a diaphragm issue with his new Mk19's and me being the OCD person wanted him to look at mine. Mine also suffered the same as his although I can't tell you the specifics like he can. I prefer a sealed diaphragm or a sealed piston vs the unsealed Mk25evo. Having said all this a new Mk25/G260 would probably be your upgrade although I don't think there is anything wrong with what you have. I also have an Atomic ST1 with sealed first stage and that is excellent. To confuse you even more my wife has a Deep6 Signature series first and second and it is every bit as good as the Mk19/G260 set up for less money.

Still waiting to find a 1st that balances as good as any Legend I had on my Flow Benches.
Also their 2nds are very good.
On the other hand it's not really clear what for you might need a new reg when you have a working MK10 (Plus) and a G250.
It has been a Top Reg in '92, it is technically still good for 90+% of all Dive Profiles.
If you are looking for something really easier breathing than your G250, then check for an old D350 (maybe tuned by Rob).
Best of both worlds would be for me the Legend 1st and a D-Series with metal orifice......

Practically these days any regulator is good. I have 1992 US Divers Conshelf 21, still works, required minimal service over years, but also decided it was time to get a new regulator. Decided on Apeks XL4+. I don't think there are any bad choices.

I like the Legend. It breathes super easy at any depth. Personally, I find the 2nd stage ugly as hell so I use my Mares proton metal. Partly cause i like the metal body and the perforated diaphragm cover but it def doesn't breathe as easy as the legend.

Now that you are a Scubaboard junkie, you too can collect regulators and then wonder where all your money went.

I actually like how the Legend looks and its one reason I want one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom