Trip Report Finally, back in SE Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After a 178 day surface interval, I finally got back in the water in Jupiter.

The Philadelphia airport was considerably busier than it was last Sept, but, still, well below normal activity. Of course it is Spring Break, but mid week. Many of the vendors are still closed. The AA Admiral's Club in B/C is open and they even have a limited self service for food and drink items. Everyone in the airport and on the plane complied with masking. The airport in West Palm was only moderately busy. The Emerald Isle at National Car is back open, but, with a poor selection. It worked out fine. I made my one run to the grocery store at Winn Dixie, it was uncrowded and everyone was masked. One of the reasons I chose to come down now is that my wife and I are fully vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine. My 2nd dose was Feb 16. I am strictly following masking and distancing. The only place I go is out on the boats.

Day 1 March 17

I did 4 tanks today with JDC. It was a pretty rough day out, solid 2-4, occasional 5, occasional bigger. As you can imagine, several people fell down, several people got seasick. The air temperature was warm, low to mid 80s, moderate wind. The water was significantly warmer than I was told it had been lately, I was told 72-74, it was 77-78. My 7mm was a bit much, I will switch to my 5mm. The visibility was not the best, 30-40 feet most of the time. The current was quite brisk all day. We did Wreck Trek and Bluffs in the morning and Spadefish Point and Scarface in the afternoon. The current was a bit much for Wreck Trek, too much holding on, it was fine for the reefs. Easily, the highlight of the day was a big Tiger Shark at Spadefish Point. As we drifted north, it casually swam south, turned broadside to us briefly before disappearing. This is only the second Tiger Shark I have seen in SE FL, both in Jupiter. There was lots of other cool stuff on all the dives, Lemon Sharks, Reef Sharks, Nurse Sharks, Goliath Grouper, Loggerhead, Hawksbill, and a Green Turtle, Green Morays, and all the usual reef fish.

This was a really great day back in the water. I was scheduled to do another 4 tanks with JDC in the morning, including the Sawfish Expedition dive. Unfortunately, my streak remains unbroken. I have signed up for the Sawfish dive 4 times, each time it has been cancelled due to conditions. Lucky for me, I will be doing 2 tanks with Narcosis in West Palm in the morning.

It's great to be back, I am very grateful :)

No, don't ask, there will be no photos from today. With the current and visibility, I left the camera behind and just enjoyed the dives.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention. JDC is still going out with a limited load and encourages masking whenever possible. Good policy.

Nice report, appreciate the details. Been awhile since I checked their trip offerings; I thought they tended toward 2 tanks/day, maybe 3 on some Fridays or some such, but after your report I checked their site and I see weekdays with 2 tank morning dives, and 2 tank afternoon dives. That's good to know. The opportunity to pack in more dives during a trip is a nice option.

This is the first I've heard of Sawfish Expedition dives; assuming it's what it sounds like, are they hitting a site they're seen periodically? Just wonder what the odds of seeing one are, and what the dives there are like aside from that.

Congrat.s on the tiger shark. I imagine that was a bucket list entry for some of the other divers.

Stay away, it's nothing but zombies down here.

Hi Richard @drrich2

Yes the Sawfish dive is to a special place, but having never been there, I can't say anything about it. The DM/guide, David, tells me he has seen Sawfish 4-5 times. I've never seen one here in over 1100 dives. I know folks who have seen them in Jupiter, West Palm, and Boynton Beach. I will see one someday. I will see a Great White too :)

Assuming JDC goes out on Friday, I will have a chance to see what Lemon Drop looks like, may be a bit late in the season, though quite a few Lemons on the Wreck Trek and reefs today

... This is only the second Tiger Shark I have seen in SE FL, both in Jupiter...
Welcome back to Jupiter + Fla. It's always nice to see a Tiger and they are now regulars each season.

... My 2nd dose...
I completed my 1st dose yesterday and followed @DandyDon 's pushups routine and today I have zero shoulder pain (it does work!) . I tacked on a 40 minute brisk walk right after they cleared me from the 15 minute safety stop. The studies say doing moderate exercise right after your shot increases the amount of anti-bodies produced by 40% for other vaccines like flu, etc. Studies are like statistics,,, but I figured it can't hurt so why not.

Glad you made it down and glad you got wet yesterday! The Tiger Shark siting sounds very special. Still never seen one. The Lemons are still around in decent numbers but Lemon Drop has been hit or miss lately. I too have never been on a sawfish trip. Booked them twice but both times they got cancelled. They do them at a location called Loran Towers. I don't know much about the spot other than that it's North of the inlet.

Glad you made it down and glad you got wet yesterday! The Tiger Shark siting sounds very special. Still never seen one. The Lemons are still around in decent numbers but Lemon Drop has been hit or miss lately. I too have never been on a sawfish trip. Booked them twice but both times they got cancelled. They do them at a location called Loran Towers. I don't know much about the spot other than that it's North of the inlet.
That's interesting to know. I dived Loran Towers once when we could not make it out to the USS Rankin due to high seas. I don't remember anything about the site, certainly, did not see a sawfish

Welcome back and good news with the vaccine
The wife and I get our second moderna shot 4/7
Any after effects?
Really nothing from shot one
Thnx

Welcome back and good news with the vaccine
The wife and I get our second moderna shot 4/7
Any after effects?
Really nothing from shot one
Thnx
I had sore arm and fatigue after 1st, same 2nd but a low grade fever and headache for one day. My wife was about the same, slightly more annoying. We're both very happy to be vaccinated, sure you will be too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom