Help with all-rounder fin choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used the Mares Quattro fins for years, now dive with Mares Excite Pro, I find I have less leg fatigue but with enough power when I need it with the Excite Pro, Anything to make it a little easier with my old legs.
As for warm water travel fins , I use Aqualung Storm fins [with 3mm socks], you really have to try these on in the shop as I found their sizing on the small side.
thanks, interesting to hear somebody who dived both. Any other differences/comparisons between the two, do you think? The Excite Pro are actually cheaper than the Quattro at the moment

the quattros are fairly neutral, so those diving drysuits gravitate towards jet fins or hollis f1s in order to keep their feet from floating.

I like the Tusa Hyflex Switch. Shorter, but still plenty good when the current was ripping on my last trip to Cozumel. I've shied away from longer fins due to leg fatigue since becoming a "vacation diver".

the quattros are fairly neutral, so those diving drysuits gravitate towards jet fins or hollis f1s in order to keep their feet from floating.

Those ones being pretty heavy? So, in that case, might be a poor option for warmer water?

I like the Tusa Hyflex Switch. Shorter, but still plenty good when the current was ripping on my last trip to Cozumel. I've shied away from longer fins due to leg fatigue since becoming a "vacation diver".
Interesting. You find that shorter finds are a bit easier on the leg? I'm guessing the trade-off is a little less propulsion?

For me it was a progression, Mares Power Plana Graphite fins [1985 I think] for years, Quattros again for years to Excite Pro less than 6 months, all good fins.

Why warm-water specifically?

Cold-water divers in drysuits generate more drag, which increases even further for people who are diving doubles or carrying AL40 pony bottles (both common in the Great Lakes). The Quattros just don't have enough propulsion oomph for that much gear.

Secondly, drysuit divers are often "foot-light" and need extra weight at that end to maintain balance and trim. Because of this, drysuit divers typically prefer fins that are both heavy and stiff, which Quattros aren't.

Looking to purchase fins - done a bit of research and trying things on, just thought I'd throw my considerations out there.
Kick type - I basically flutter kick almost all the time, but I know I need to switch and start learning frog kick a bit more....so i guess, versatility.
Thanks all!

To help my students/customers I break down the fins into categories.

The first one is Is the simple blade fin one sees quite often with divers. It will get the job done, yet it will not give you some of the nice options some others will offer. The average blade fin is inexpensive and some are rather comfortable such as the Scubapro Jet Sport. The fin works well for flutter or frog kick.

The second fin is the split fin. This was the rage back in the 90s when it came out. It is the easiest fin to kick in. If one has bad knees or hips or tires easily then this fin will excel. The weakness to the fin is it lack thrust making it not so great in water movement such as current, waves, or surge. The split fin is not good for maneuverability for those who master different types of kicks.

The third fin is what is sometimes referred to as the innovative fin. People enjoy the ease of the split fin, but don’t like the fact it lacks thrust. The innovative fin, such as the Scubapro Nova Sea Wind, combines the thrust of the average blade fin and the ease of the split fin. It also offers something I don’t think it was intended for, speed. Women quite often like this fin because they don’t have to kick as hard to keep up with the guys who to speed kick without realizing it. The Nova fin works quite well in currents without tiring ones legs and is quite efficient for the flutter kick. What the fin lacks is maneuverability. Although I can swim backwards with it, the fin wasn’t designed for such techniques. It also doesn’t work so well with the modified frog kick.

The fourth fin is the older blade style fin often referred to tech or the rocket / jet fin. This fin offers great stability, thrust, and maneuverability. Although it works in current, one will tire in a short while. Because the fin is rather stiff one can push a lot of equipment through the water, use different kicking techniques (such as swimming backwards or the chopper turns), and a bit more rugged. As with all fins there is a downside. It is heavier making it bit of a pain for traveling and for the person who likes to kick a lot during the dive the fin will tire you out.

There is a fifth version that I am seeing and that is the travel fin. It’s performance is adequate and because it is smaller it is easier to travel with. People have come and told me it doesn’t work well in water movement and less benign water conditions. The cost is average and its size is small making it popular for the tourist diver. It is a compromise fin that excels for light weight luggage, but sacrifices other stuff for the water such as comfort, thrust, maneuverability, or ease of kicking.

A short version of my previous post.

A few years a go a friend and I took some teenagers (endless energy) to the pool and had them swim with different fins. We timed them for speed on lap runs and measured distance when swimming underwater.

The Seawing Nova won for speed, hands down. The Jet / Rocket fin won for thrust (they were able to cover greater distance while holding their breath and swimming underwater). We asked the teenagers about the split fins and they raved at how easy it was to use, but it didn’t offer anything and lacked thrust. The traditional blade fins, such as the Jet Sport, didn’t win or lose in anything; it just got the job done.

The travel fins had not come out yet, so the teenagers didn’t get a chance to try them.

One last thing - try on the fins. Regardless of their features, if it isn’t comfortable on your foot or fit well then don’t get it. Fit, comfort, and purpose all play a role when choosing a fin.

Another vote for the Avanti Quattros. I have two pairs, one for cold and one for warm-water diving. I find they can generate much more force with a single kick (flutter or frog) than other fins I own(ed), namely the Deep6 Eddy fins, Jet fins, or Apeks RK3s.

For a fin that can handle warm or cold water diving (providing you don't have to change boot size too much), flutter kicking in current, general frog kick, and even some backwards kicking if needed, I think they're fantastic. I haven't had a strap break yet so I can't speak to the steel straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom