Trip Report Finally, back in SE Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day 2 March 18

I did 2 dives with Narcosis out of West Palm today. When seas are up, I often go out of West Palm and usually use Narcosis. The Palm Beach Inlet is easily the most forgiving in big seas, being wide and deep. The Boynton Beach Inlet is clearly the hardest, Jupiter is intermediate. The Narcosis boat is a 48 footer, wide beam, and 2 engine powerful. Capt Alex does a great job driving, drops and pick ups are right on. Alex stepped into some really big shoes following Capt Van, for many of us, an old favorite. Narcosis is continuing limited load and masking.

Seas were up today, started 2-4, built to 3-5, both with occasional bigger. Water was still 77 degrees, visibility was better, 60+ feet. The current was still extremely brisk north. We were scheduled to do Governor's River Walk, I'm glad they skipped it, would have been hold on for dear life. We ended up doing North Double Ledges and MId Reef. Lots to see, at least half a dozen Lemon Sharks, 3-4 Bull Sharks, Nurse Sharks, Loggerhead and Hawksbill Turtles, and all the usual reef fish. At the end of our second dive we came upon a large, husky Bull Shark that swam around us for a couple of minutes. To our surprise, it accompanied us about half way up to our safety stop before disappearing. Two of us missed the 1st pick up due to the conditions and had to wait for the boat to swing back around. We were surprised when we spotted the shark again, about 15 feet below us. Kept us nicely occupied until we were picked up. You go down, swim around, you never know what you are going to see.

A great day diving, I'm beat. I'm scheduled for 4 dives with JDC tomorrow, including Wreck Trek and Lemon Drop. Tomorrow is supposed to be 2-3, as is Saturday. Then, does not look so good for the rest of my stay, we'll see.

Since people may run across this thread researching Jupiter, FL dive options, something worth mentioning...when I was there in 2014, Jupiter Dive Center had different tank sizes available to rent, including 120-cf steel tanks. For big guys (sounds so much better than 'air hogs'), that's good to know. I haven't found many op.s with them; Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City, NC, Living Underwater (and I hear Aldora and one other dive op. - don't recall their name) in Cozumel.

Anybody doing any spear fishing on any of the dives? With a tiger shark yesterday and a big bull shark today, I imagine that could make things 'interesting...'

Since people may run across this thread researching Jupiter, FL dive options, something worth mentioning...when I was there in 2014, Jupiter Dive Center had different tank sizes available to rent, including 120-cf steel tanks. For big guys (sounds so much better than 'air hogs'), that's good to know. I haven't found many op.s with them; Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City, NC, Living Underwater (and I hear Aldora and one other dive op. - don't recall their name) in Cozumel.

Anybody doing any spear fishing on any of the dives? With a tiger shark yesterday and a big bull shark today, I imagine that could make things 'interesting...'
My friend Richard @drrich2

Yes you are correct, JDC has steel 100s and 120s. I am lucky, my gas consumption is low and I can do most all NDL dives on an AL80. Narcosis also has steel cylinders, at least 100s, maybe 120s, you would have to contact to confirm.

No spearfishing around us yesterday in Jupiter or today in West Palm. I have had vigorous shark action in the vicinity of active spearos.

Picture of tiger shark on fb Jupiter dive center

Thanks for the report! Going out tomorrow with Walkers. Landed today, and yes I noticed the water was much warmer than the prediction we spoke about- glad I brought the lighter wetsuit. That wind was blowing today- I was kind of glad that wasn't my first day out, these being my first WPB dives.

@letterboy is right about the zombies- I was walking around Singer near the bridge and saw two young ladies in a fistfight. Only moments earlier, a Lamborghini and a Bentley drove by, and in the background are stacks of multi-million dollar condo's- gotta love Florida!

I was walking around Singer near the bridge and saw two young ladies in a fistfight. Only moments earlier, a Lamborghini and a Bentley drove by, and in the background are stacks of multi-million dollar condo's- gotta love Florida!

Two worlds collide on that bridge. Riviera Beach & Singer Island are so close yet worlds apart. Welcome to paradise.

Thanks for the report! Going out tomorrow with Walkers. Landed today, and yes I noticed the water was much warmer than the prediction we spoke about- glad I brought the lighter wetsuit. That wind was blowing today- I was kind of glad that wasn't my first day out, these being my first WPB dives.

@letterboy is right about the zombies- I was walking around Singer near the bridge and saw two young ladies in a fistfight. Only moments earlier, a Lamborghini and a Bentley drove by, and in the background are stacks of multi-million dollar condo's- gotta love Florida!
Looks like you may have lucked out, today and tomorrow will be the the best days. Not sure I'll be diving Sun-Tues. Look forward to hearing about your dives

Thanks for the reports Craig and so happy for you that you are back out diving in Florida! I appreciate the water temp news also.
I will be down for 3 days of diving (April 30, May 1 and May 2). Probably going to dive out of Boynton.

Going to get in 8 days of diving in Cozumel before that (April 2-9).

Got my first Pfizer vaccine shot yesterday. Will get 2nd one immediately upon return from Cozumel.

Look forward to hearing about today's diving. Cheers!

@scubadada what's your itinerary for tomorrow? I'll be on JDC's afternoon boat. Curious if you're doing the same.

Landed today, and yes I noticed the water was much warmer than the prediction we spoke about- glad I brought the lighter wetsuit.

My log shows 73 degree water on 2/13, 75 on 2/27, and 76 last weekend. It's been warming quickly. Almost time to dump the hood and vest!

Welcome back and good news with the vaccine
The wife and I get our second moderna shot 4/7
Any after effects?
Really nothing from shot one
Thnx

I got the 2nd Moderna shot 9 days ago. That night I woke up with fever and chills. I hung out at home for the day and relaxed. I had low-grade fever off and on for numerous days and am just now starting to feel stronger. I get worn out very easily.

That being said, I'm still very happy to have had the vaccine. I realize these are just signs of my body's response to the vaccine and I believe that means it's working. Everyone is different and will react differently. I'm only responding so you will have another experience to draw from when you get your 2nd shot. Best of luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom