Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We still intend to come for our 27 MAR - 7 APR trip as long as the flights hold, which they are for the time being.

The situation seems well beyond a full-blown emergency. Cumulative positive tests went from 840 on Tuesday to 1018 today (a 21% increase), and active cases went from 298 on Tuesday to 434 today. 12 hospitalized (8 on Bonaire and 4 on Curacao; is this the first time they've transferred patients?), and five of the 12 are in intensive care. 16% positivity rate. No surprise that British variant confirmed.

Meanwhile, the vaccine program has barely made a dent: Tursiops reported 1923 first doses on March 12, and that number is 2477 today--554 vaccinations in eight days.

Vaccination Campaign Bonaire still not picking up Much Speed - BES Reporter

Very concerning. I am pulling back on any plans to travel to the ABCs and any international travel for the time being.

This is posted on Bonaire.digital:

Yesterday the 18th of March there was quite a bit of panic as it was uncertain how the dive sites on the island would operate on the island during the lock down. Here’s a list of what we know so far. Sources: facebook posts by the company or direct info from employees.

Current lockdown dates: 18 March till 2 April
Diving allowed, but only with people from your own house hold.

Any shop that is open ONLY offers tanks/equipment pick-ups. That means: No courses, no boat diving, no sales.

AB Dive: Tanks only in the mornings 8AM-12PM after reservering tanks. No walk ins. Phone 717 8980

Buddy Dive: Only current customers that are green listed can pick up tanks. No new customers. Phone: 717 5080

Dive Friends: After sending an e-mail to everyone telling they would be closing for two weeks, they’ve reconsidered. Now Port Bonaire and Sand Dollar (Den Laman) are open between 9AM and 5PM. All other locations closed. Phone: 780 2572

Private Divers Bonaire: Tanks only 9AM-12PM. Phone: 786 6763

Toucan Diving: Tanks only for Plaza Resort customers between 8AM and 12PM. Phone 717 2500

Tropical Divers: Tanks only. Open 9AM – 4PM. Phone: 717 5111

VIP Diving: Drive Thru for tanks & rental gear. 8AM – 5PM. Phone 701 7701

What if I take my own plane full of all of my own gear? :)

There is a hint of progress from the current, severe lockdown, which began just a few days ago.
upload_2021-3-21_14-41-7.png
We should know in a few more days if they have gotten on top of this latest surge.
If you want to put these numbers in a greater context, remember that the population of Bonaire is only about 20k, plus visitors, and these numbers are usually reported as "new infections per 100k." So multiply the numbers in the graph by 4 or 5 for comparison; The US is currently running about 16 new infections per 100k, the Netherlands is at about 35, the UK at about 10, Germany about 14, Canada about 9, Russia about 9, and Brazil about 32.

The police broke up a gathering of 70 people at the kite surfing beach on March 16. Any people infected during that ill thought out, and illegal even under stage 5 gathering should be showing up any time.

Quite a few people are understandably upset at the incredibly slow vaccination program. There was a news article in the BES Reporter about it. There are rumors, I don't know the source, that the lockdown might become more strict than it is now. Another generally reliable source told me that medical assistance from the Royal Dutch Navy has been requested. Those ships take 19 days to make the crossing.

The numbers today are looking better, except the additional death, so hopefully what they're doing now will work.

The police broke up a gathering of 70 people at the kite surfing beach on March 16. Any people infected during that ill thought out, and illegal even under stage 5 gathering should be showing up any time.

Quite a few people are understandably upset at the incredibly slow vaccination program. There was a news article in the BES Reporter about it. There are rumors, I don't know the source, that the lockdown might become more strict than it is now. Another generally reliable source told me that medical assistance from the Royal Dutch Navy has been requested. Those ships take 19 days to make the crossing.

The numbers today are looking better, except the additional death, so hopefully what they're doing now will work.
And 11000 more Pfizer doses are arriving...
Snel 11.000 extra Pfizer vaccins op Bonaire Nieuws |

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom