scuba death case reopened

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don,

This sounds worse and more contradictory each time they all tried to explain it to the Coroner. Captain "had a relationship" with decedent? And yet behaved so seemingly casually and emotionlessly about having just lost a diver, and a lover?

Maybe she was beyond saving. But they should have behaved and reacted as though she might still be alive. And, air permitting, kept on looking for her body, they owe that to her family.

I know, easy for me to say from shore. But still...
I agree -as one early report stated - lots of red flags

Yes, well, this claim makes it sound like getting to the truth may be impossible. Lots of movies have been made about similar situations.
She may have been pregnant, and the married captain admits to having had an affair with her

yeah i dont get it geoff if she was on the surface getting assistance then one would assume she had air in her bcd - so how did she sink ?
-unless her air was turned off and when the reg was purged it would appear to be fixed from leaking - one she started descending then no air in bcd either -

It looks like you may have called it back then - at least what the sneaking suspicion still is, unfortunately. :(

The report said the equipment was functional and the cylinder full. When a body is recovered I doubt anyone would touch the valves. Her dive computer would have recorded what ever happened in the water (but that also depends on the type of computer). The captain was reportedly hung over, so she may have been, also. There may have been “dumb people doing dumb things” all the way around and their lying may have been more about covering up incompetence than criminality. It sounds like she died and they dumped the body and spent an hour coming up with a story. Hopefully the family can get more information through a civil/ wrongful death lawsuit.

The report said the equipment was functional and the cylinder full. When a body is recovered I doubt anyone would touch the valves. Her dive computer would have recorded what ever happened in the water (but that also depends on the type of computer). The captain was reportedly hung over, so she may have been, also. There may have been “dumb people doing dumb things” all the way around and their lying may have been more about covering up incompetence than criminality. It sounds like she died and they dumped the body and spent an hour coming up with a story. Hopefully the family can get more information through a civil/ wrongful death lawsuit.
There won't be a civil / wrongful death lawsuit in Aotearoa New Zealand...

It seems interesting that (apparently) nobody drilled into the boat captain about his statement that after 4 minutes, he assumed she was dead.

She was found with a full tank. The boat captain and crew would surely have known she had a full tank. So, assuming she was dead after 4 minutes seems highly specious.

I didn't see any mention of an analysis of the gas in her cylinder. Did I miss that? I also didn't see mention of an autopsy to verify cause of death? I only saw statements that she had no underlying health conditions that would explain her sudden death. Could she have been poisoned? Died of CO poisoning?

Or as simple as she went down with her air turned off (whether on purpose or by accident), drowned, they went down and got her and realized (or knew?) what happened, and then decided to collude in opening her tank valve and dropping her back in, so as to avoid being blamed for sending her down with a closed tank?

The Kiwi version of Natalie Wood.

Hello! My name is Hazel and i'm a journalist from NZ. I'm looking to speak with a couple of divers about Ms Thongsi's death and thought I would reach out to you all on this thread. I'm unable to send DM's but please message me if you'd like to chat a little more.

Kindest regards,
Hazel

Hello! My name is Hazel and i'm a journalist from NZ. I'm looking to speak with a couple of divers about Ms Thongsi's death and thought I would reach out to you all on this thread. I'm unable to send DM's but please message me if you'd like to chat a little more.

Kindest regards,
Hazel
I don't think anyone on this thread has any direct knowledge of what happened. Or are you just looking for people who understand scuba diving and can respond to general questions?

I don't think anyone on this thread has any direct knowledge of what happened. Or are you just looking for people who understand scuba diving and can respond to general questions?
Hi John, great question. I am looking for people who understand scuba diving and can answer more general questions. Especially around equipment/safety procedures etc. Thanks so much!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom