Seacraft ENC3 Inertial navigation unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simple dead reckoning imho. Not very hard to measure the speed or extrapolate it. You just need to measure amount of fluid running from a tube, like in aircraft pitot tube.

Should work fine in a quarry, with no currents....

I develop navigation sw for living. If I had to guess;
  1. You get gps position for the entry,
  2. Start recording sensor(s) data
  3. Detect using accelerometer when diver is swimming or engaging the power. Do simple dead reckoning with 2 preset speed values for different states and compass. Consider changes adjusting the position when diver is swimming up or down. This is basically extrapolating current position.
  4. You get a gps fix for the exit position.
  5. Now that start and end positions are known, interpolate the recorded geometry and simplify to fit into start/end points.
It should not be difficult to add manually a current estimation (direction-speed) prior to entry or exit.

For those interested in what can be achieved with low grade consumer IMU’s, this is a good read.
Accelerometers and gyroscopes: fantasy vs. reality

I’ve been working with high end navigation and tactical grade IMU’s for the last 20years. IMHO we are a long long way off from having a navigation solution based primarily off Inertial data at this price point.

I’m unconvinced that this system old perform well in a hand held configuration, but I expect that this system would perform better than a lot of people might think if used on a scooter with a properly calibrated compass and flow meter.

Does anyone know how's Suex new SINAPSI compared to ENC3 in terms of navigation?

It's a basic INS system, same as a plane.
Starts with a know position (GPS) then uses the other sensors to calculate direction, depth etc. This is a screen shot from nav download from a training dive last week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 108
It's a basic INS system, same as a plane.
Starts with a know position (GPS) then uses the other sensors to calculate direction, depth etc. This is a screen shot from nav download from a training dive last week.

So, it compensates for current (which the ENC3 does not)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom