cylinder storage time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again to everyone who replied, I guess I don't have to worry about getting my cylinders filled the day before I go for a dive anymore I can do it as and when.

Great stuff.

Have a great day everyone

John

If there is no moisture in the cylinder, then there is no time limit for an air or Nitrox fill.

Of course, you can't tell whether or not there is moisture in the cylinder without draining the tank and removing the valve for a peek inside.

So always assume that your cylinder is wet inside, to some degree.

In aluminum tanks, the air will last forever. But the oxygen and moisture can cause severe corrosion of the cylinder. That's why tanks need to be visually inspected (VIP=visual inspection program). Most people assume the VIP is annual, but the schedule actually depends on how often the tanks are used. Tanks should get a VIP at least once annually, but a VIP every 3-4 months is more appropriate for a busy dive shop.

Steel tanks are a different story. The formation of steel rust actually consumes the oxygen in the cylinder, and you could end up with a hypoxic gas. There is one recorded scuba death from this problem. Again, this is why the VIP is so important.

In summary, the evidence-based recommendation are:

-Make sure that your tank gets a VIP at least annually

-If your tank has been sitting for more than a year, check the O2 with an oxygen analyzer before use, and then get your tank inspected after the dive

-If a steel tank sits for more than 3 months, check the O2 with an oxygen analyzer before use

If there is no moisture in the cylinder, then there is no time limit for an air or Nitrox fill.

Of course, you can't tell whether or not there is moisture in the cylinder without draining the tank and removing the valve for a peek inside.

So always assume that you cylinder is wet inside, to some degree.

In aluminum tanks, the air will last forever. But the oxygen and moisture can cause severe corrosion of the cylinder. That's why tanks need to be visually inspected (VIP=visual inspection program). Most people assume the VIP is annual, but the schedule actually depends on how often the tanks are used. Tanks should get a VIP at least once annually, but a VIP every 3-4 months is more appropriate for a busy dive shop.

Steel tanks are a different story. The formation of steel rust actually consumes the oxygen in the cylinder, and you could end up with a hypoxic gas. There is one recorded scuba death from this problem. Again, this is why the VIP is so important.

In summary, the evidence-based recommendation are:

-Make sure that your tank gets a VIP at least annually

-If you tank has been sitting for more than a year, check the O2 with an oxygen analyzer before use, and then get your tank inspected after the dive

-If a steel tank sits for more than 3 months, check the O2 with an oxygen analyzer before use

Great reply, thank you

I have two bombs (z-bottles) somewhere in the basement that were filled 18+ years ago.... If I could get to them, I'd dive them if I needed...

Back
Top Bottom