Jesus Zetina DM Scuba Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of the posts in this thread are informative, but they are not really about Jesus Zetina. Would it be possible for a moderator to split this thread with the two subjects?
Yes, but that would hide the discussion on possible lessons to learn. My brother barely survived his colon cancer, but then went on to champion colonoscopies to anyone who'd listen as long as he could. The treatments took their toll as well tho and these days it's a big deal just for him to get out of the house at times. I wish the best possible to Jesus, but I suspect he'd like others to learn from his ordeal.

I am not saying the information is not important. The two threads could be linked.

My mother died of colon cancer (and my dad had it later in life), so with my family history...

I keep computer file records of all my colonoscopies (I lost count) and other related records. At my age my doctors have agreed to switch from a five year to a three year screening schedule.

It is important, but I feel that we could have two linked threads. It is just my opinion.

I think that you are totally wrong there. Digital exams and PSAs are the tests to catch prostrate problems early, while colonoscopies are to catch colon polyps early - and in many cases have them removed during the exam before they can become a problem.
If you read carefully you will see that no one ever actually said that a colonoscopy can detect prostate cancer.

Well, I for one have learned something here so this thread isn't a waste of time for others contributing to it. I assumed that colonoscopy checked the prostate at the same time but I have learned that isn't the case. I asked my GP about it and he said I have nothing to worry about as he includes a PSA test in my annual blood tests. Nothing to worry about? I know PSA test results are questionable and can miss prostate cancer but this the world we live in and, for most of us, we'll die from something else before we die of prostate cancer when/if it gets detected as it is a very slow developing disease. My Grandfather had his prostate removed at 65 or something and lived to 92. Today, depending on your age (from what I understand) there is seldom surgery involved... Just the planting of tiny radioactive pellets into the prostate that kills the cancer. A friend of mine had the tiny pellets implanted and it fixed him but he said it was a rough ride because he said he had to piss all the time during the treatment but that has now passed, his treatment is done and he's feeling great (he never felt bad in the first place so the PSA test worked for him and they caught it early).

for most of us, we'll die from something else before we die of prostate cancer when/if it gets detected as it is a very slow developing disease.
Both exams are important. Death from prostrate cancer may seem rare, but I've seen a big, strong cowboy crippled then die from it. It was a difficult time to observed.
Globally, it is the second-most common cancer. It is the fifth-leading cause of cancer-related death in men.[19] In 2018, it was diagnosed in 1.2 million and caused 359,000 deaths.[5] It was the most common cancer in males in 84 countries,[3] occurring more commonly in the developed world.[20] Rates have been increasing in the developing world.[20] Detection increased significantly in the 1980s and 1990s in many areas due to increased PSA testing.[3] One study reported prostate cancer in 30% to 70% of Russian and Japanese men over age 60 who had died of unrelated causes.[1]
The PSA is probably effective altho it has its critics. I'm been taking generic Flomax for many years, but rely on the PSA. I guess one could request a digital exam. My PA is cute young lady so I'd have to consider that wording.

Both exams are important. Death from prostrate cancer may seem rare, but I've seen a big, strong cowboy crippled then die from it.
And Frank Zappa

"About 1 man in 41 will die of prostate cancer." 2½% is enough of a risk to take seriously.

Very sorry to hear about Jesus. He is in my prayers. Someone said in another thread that they wished they had more money so that they could help everyone. It’s difficult to deal emotionally with all the need right now.

P.S.
it’s obvious that baby boomers have no immunity whatsoever to social media. It’s like smallpox! We have become the me, me, me generation. I guess if someone thinks it’s actionable then they should post their thoughts. But at the same time this is a scuba diving forum.

As the person that simply tried to alert others that Prostate cancer is a high risk disease we may get as we age I'll point out that the reason I went for my check up was to get cleared for diving on my annual trip to Cozumel. Because of my age I like to have my Dr's opinion that I shouldn't likely have some form of medical emergency during a dive which will ruin the day (or trip) for those on the boat with me the day it happens. It was that visit which caught my elevated PSA level.
It's important to note Prostate cancer when caught early has many treatment options but likely hasn't given you any symptoms to think you need that PSA test. The real problem is delayed diagnosis which allows the cancer to spread to other areas of the body. Once it spreads treatments available aren't so simple.

Prostate Cancer Risk Factors

If You Have Prostate Cancer

Because I don't know Jesus I can't comment on just when he was first diagnosed nor what prompted getting diagnosed but maybe, just maybe an earlier diagnosis may have caught it before it got a grip on his body. Hopefully our prayers & / or donations can help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom