Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have neck seal problems (pretty lean guy) when I turn my neck even slightly. With the silicone neck seal and bioseal, they've largely disappeared, whereas before they were only reduced with the bioseal. I fully agree with @stuartv in that the silicone seal is a million times easier to get on consistently right. And for 58 pounds through Seaskin, it doesn't break the bank. Finally, my past drysuit's neoprene seal did get ripped a little. Not enough to do any damage to the seal's effectiveness, but enough to use some aquaseal to repair it. Not saying that silicone is right for everyone, but I'm pretty confident in my choice.

I have neck seal problems (pretty lean guy) when I turn my neck even slightly. With the silicone neck seal and bioseal, they've largely disappeared, whereas before they were only reduced with the bioseal. I fully agree with @stuartv in that the silicone seal is a million times easier to get on consistently right. And for 58 pounds through Seaskin, it doesn't break the bank. Finally, my past drysuit's neoprene seal did get ripped a little. Not enough to do any damage to the seal's effectiveness, but enough to use some aquaseal to repair it. Not saying that silicone is right for everyone, but I'm pretty confident in my choice.
That is a point that I didn’t consider. I’m...not a slender guy so I don’t have any problems with the seals on either neck or wrist (I can’t make my tendons pop out or my wrists, no matter what I do). Also, my neck is relatively large for my head size, so it’s super easy for me to get the neck seal over my head. Sometimes i fold it over before pulling it over my head. But I know for some people, especially those with long hair, neoprene neck seals can be a real PITA to get on.

I’ve never been hot in my ultra, and I dive it up to 23 degrees, so changing out a seal for thermal reasons wouldn’t be necessary for me.

Maybe I should add a caveat, if you happen to be shaped like me (the best shape :wink:) and do the kind of diving I do, then maybe a replaceable neck seal isn’t necessary. I figured if I got the replaceable seal id also want to get the warm neck, which would up the price about 100 dollars. I only paid 650 for my suit at the time so while not breaking the bank, the extra hundred bucks would make up a pretty big chunk of the total.

Trigger pulled! I'm getting myself a new shinny nova.
Thank you a million to @stuartv @lexvil @laikabear for your help!:flowers:

Nova black and red
Plastic zipper with cover
Quick neck with warm neck simple
SiTech val cuff rings
DIR dump
SiTech valves
Tech boots
Telescopic Torso
Wide braces
Change mat bag
2 bellows pockets
Computer straps on right arm
Rolock 90
Spare seals
150 Gm Undersuit

:bday: to me :):)

That is a point that I didn’t consider. I’m...not a slender guy so I don’t have any problems with the seals on either neck or wrist (I can’t make my tendons pop out or my wrists, no matter what I do). Also, my neck is relatively large for my head size, so it’s super easy for me to get the neck seal over my head. Sometimes i fold it over before pulling it over my head. But I know for some people, especially those with long hair, neoprene neck seals can be a real PITA to get on.

I’ve never been hot in my ultra, and I dive it up to 23 degrees, so changing out a seal for thermal reasons wouldn’t be necessary for me.

Maybe I should add a caveat, if you happen to be shaped like me (the best shape :wink:) and do the kind of diving I do, then maybe a replaceable neck seal isn’t necessary. I figured if I got the replaceable seal id also want to get the warm neck, which would up the price about 100 dollars. I only paid 650 for my suit at the time so while not breaking the bank, the extra hundred bucks would make up a pretty big chunk of the total.

Understandable. Knowing what I know NOW, if I get another suit for some reason, I would probably get the Quick Neck but not the warm neck (which I do have now). I would use a replaceable neoprene neck seal for cold water, so no need for the warm neck, really. And could swap out for silicone for warm water, so still no need for the warm neck.

Also, @Addison Snyder, the Quick Neck is 50-something pounds as an option, but that includes VAT. By the time you take off VAT (for shipping to the US) and then do the currency conversion, it works out to about USD$60. Quite cheap, actually (for what it is - at least, in my opinion).

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my Nova on 3/18 and recieved notification today, 3/23, that my dispatch is 5/21.

Plastic YKK zip, zip cover, Trigon, Quick neck w warm neck cover, kubis with ring covers, DIR dump, SiTech valves, comfort patch, neoprene socks, telescopic torso, wider braces, expedition pockets, and reflective tap kit.

Also got a 250gm undersuit, 150gm socks, the tech base layer, a hood, wool gloves, and suit dryers.

Got just about every option so I am really looking forward to getting it in. Dispatch date of 9 weeks and 1 day seems pretty reasonable.

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my Nova on 3/18 and recieved notification today, 3/23, that my dispatch is 5/21.

Plastic YKK zip, zip cover, Trigon, Quick neck w warm neck cover, kubis with ring covers, DIR dump, SiTech valves, comfort patch, neoprene socks, telescopic torso, wider braces, expedition pockets, and reflective tap kit.

Also got a 250gm undersuit, 150gm socks, the tech base layer, a hood, wool gloves, and suit dryers.

Got just about every option so I am really looking forward to getting it in. Dispatch date of 9 weeks and 1 day seems pretty reasonable.
Will be interest to see how the kubi covers are, they’re new and I’m not sure anyone has ordered them before!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom