Handling LDS fee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

remembered my name, introduced me to other customers as potential dive buddies, asked follow-up questions about the dive I had told them I was going on the last time I was there, and generally made the shop feel like my own version of Cheers.

One of mine has a bar the back, we call it a dive bar. After the store closes they offer the people hanging out talking drinks.

It's always eye-opening for me to read about people's experiences with bad dive shops here. My LDS has
1) given me unasked-for discounts on just about everything I've bought from them, when I was already handing over my credit card,
2) given me small things like regulator port plugs, an occasional fill, and a T-shirt for free,
3) educated me on products they don't carry but that might better suit my needs,
4) talked me out of buying things from them that wouldn't suit my needs,
5) offered to let me return stuff I bought from them even after I'd used it if it wasn't meeting my needs,
6) let me try stuff out for free to see if it would work for me,
7) remembered my name, introduced me to other customers as potential dive buddies, asked follow-up questions about the dive I had told them I was going on the last time I was there, and generally made the shop feel like my own version of Cheers.

Granted, I've spent several thousand dollars there, but they've earned every cent.
Sounds like you have a great shop. Talk them up every chance you get. The rest of us are envious.

One of mine has a bar the back, we call it a dive bar. After the store closes they offer the people hanging out talking drinks.
My LDS used to do that. Unfortunately, adults couldn't be adults and would get drunk and hang out in the parking lot. After the neighboring businesses called the cops a few times it was ended.

Sounds like you have a great shop. Talk them up every chance you get. The rest of us are envious.
Hollywood Divers, everyone! If you can stomach paying a million bucks for a modest house plus all the taxes, traffic, regulations, and high gas prices we love to bitch about in SoCal, you too can love your shop this much! :D

It's always eye-opening for me to read about people's experiences with bad dive shops here. My LDS has
1) given me unasked-for discounts on just about everything I've bought from them, when I was already handing over my credit card,
2) given me small things like regulator port plugs, an occasional fill, and a T-shirt for free,
3) educated me on products they don't carry but that might better suit my needs,
4) talked me out of buying things from them that wouldn't suit my needs,
5) offered to let me return stuff I bought from them even after I'd used it if it wasn't meeting my needs,
6) let me try stuff out for free to see if it would work for me,
7) remembered my name, introduced me to other customers as potential dive buddies, asked follow-up questions about the dive I had told them I was going on the last time I was there, and generally made the shop feel like my own version of Cheers.

Granted, I've spent several thousand dollars there, but they've earned every cent.

it’s good to hear that some people actually have good experiences with an LDS. There are not enough of them. It goes both ways as well. We have people who come in all the time that we have never seen before that want “free” stuff or services, want to exchange bad equipment bought elsewhere for new equipment, and want to use our tools. We have a pile of tanks, BCDs, and regulators that people dropped off for service without paying for. When any of that happens we just don’t know what to say.

Hollywood Divers, everyone! If you can stomach paying a million bucks for a modest house plus all the taxes, traffic, regulations, and high gas prices we love to bitch about in SoCal, you too can love your shop this much! :D

Mines the same without the million dollar house part, less traffic and probably less taxes. The weather is a bit colder though.

it’s good to hear that some people actually have good experiences with an LDS. There are not enough of them. It goes both ways as well. We have people who come in all the time that we have never seen before that want “free” stuff, want to exchange bad equipment bought elsewhere for new equipment, and want to use our tools. When that happens we just don’t know what to say.

I hear horror stories from mine. I understand they are a business trying to make money. They understand that I am a consumer trying to "save" money. I understand that time is money. I also know the cost of scuba compressor etc. They do the best they can price wise, they are not upset if a shop elsewhere. If they come close I get from them and I pay in cash. They have beaten online prices.

I have also gotten free fills sometimes and little small stuff like that. Or maybe that's because I don't drink the booze.

It took a little bit of time to establish but not long as we are smart enough to know how the system works and didn't even have to say it for it to happen.

We are a Shearwater dealer and that is incorrect. If you buy a used Shearwater for 50% off MAP with a warranty, you paid less than the dealer did originally.

Since your a dealer, I’ll take your word for it. I saw what I saw. I wound up buying a new Perdix from a local dive shop with the tank pod at retail pricing.

My Suunto Eon core was bought under warranty for way less than retail or whosale. It had 6 dives and two were from the factory. I got it and a tank pod for a steal. The tank pod was bad but Suunto replaced it with a new one. You would probably be mad if you knew how much I got the pair for. Can I say “cash is king”?

What I don’t like though about manufacturers pricing is, as a consumer, I can’t price shop. What I mean by that is the price is set. You can go look at any online store to include amazon and eBay and the price is the same with the exception some include shipping. The only way to get a “deal” is on the used market. I do my homework and try to only buy things I need used that are still in warranty. I also try to buy items from folks who have never registered said product and have them include original receipt. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.

I’ve been fortunate to have not bought junk. My wife loves the Suunto Eon core and I love the Perdix. We are happy divers.

Glenn

Since your a dealer, I’ll take your word for it. I saw what I saw. I wound up buying a new Perdix from a local dive shop with the tank pod at retail pricing.

Could be what you saw was price in Canadian dollars without shipping. I know Shearwater ships overnight to avoid customs hang ups. That and the conversion could be the discrepancy. Just brainstorming.

Back
Top Bottom