Snorkels and double hose regs

Snorkel, snorkel, snorkel

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RecklessAmateur

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey double hose divers:

I'm curious what choice you make in using a snorkel with a double hose.

I'm of the generation that learned to dive on double hose regulators but forget what the drill was back then. Now that I've rejoined the club (restored and Phoenix'ed Royal Aquamaster and DA Aquamaster, thank you very much!) I'm trying to think through my snorkel options. Vote away and feel free to leave commentary.

I put leave it at home... however I use mine in benign environments so far. I can see situations where I would bring one stuffed in a pocket, though.

Respectfully,

James

As you can see on my avatar, I used to use a snorkel (we all did).

A snorkel was standard equipment when using a “J” valve because the reserve was just enough air to get you to the surface. Then you had to swim on the surface to make it back.

I always used a pressure gauge, but swimming on the surface to save air was always common practice.

Now I rarely use a snorkel, but occasionally I take a semi rigid rubber one in a pocket. It depends on the dive.

I'll use a snorkle for beach dives where I have a bit of a surface swim, but not for boat dives. I have developed a high-tech patent-pending never-before-thought-of method of securing my snorkle to a D-ring while on the dive so it is not interferring with my double hose reg. :)

6CGqlM.jpg

4-snorkel-types-jpg.510230.jpg

Just for the record and to be as historically authentic with a snorkel as you may be with your double-hose regulator, one old PADI manual on my bookshelf classes mid-twentieth-century snorkels as follows: J-shaped; L-shaped; Flexible-hose; Contour. The four types are illustrated above with models from my snorkel collection. According to many diving manuals back then, scuba divers should always bring a snorkel along in case of emergency, e.g. a tank running on empty with a long swim back to land. The flexible-hose snorkel was said to be popular with double-hose divers because its mouthpiece hung straight down out of the way when not in use.

I use a large bore flex snorkel, no purges, no water blocks just a 7/8" ID tube with a flex end for the mouthpiece that is fixed to my mask strap with a Velco strap. This configuration as served my well for many decades with both double hose and single hose regs. and is used on almost every dive to conserve gas.
My diving is shore diving with surface swimming.

Only on open ocean diving from a boat. Then, collapsible in a pocket. Otherwise, not even a second thought, I do not carry one.

I'll use a snorkle for beach dives where I have a bit of a surface swim, but not for boat dives. I have developed a high-tech patent-pending never-before-thought-of method of securing my snorkle to a D-ring while on the dive so it is not interferring with my double hose reg. :)

View attachment 649101

I may have to copy that... So go ahead and sue me... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom