Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 14 years we have never failed to visit, until this last year.
We are following this thread
Pretty much the same for us except our May 2020 was cancelled. And now May 2021 is pushed out to 2022. A group we meet up with have been going annually for over 25 years!!!

And now May 2021 is pushed out to 2022
Same here. Was thinking of a CUR trip this year if things improved and didn't have to test to come back to the US but not looking that way, at least through the Spring. Florida Keys may be busier than usual this Spring and Summer and may have to think about a trip to the Keys, after the spring breakers and April school vacation crowds clear out.

All good thoughts! I may look into getting back to Saba, although we are getting a tad old for the deep pinnacles :wink: Otherwise Dutch Springs here we come...

23 March: It would appear the corner has been turned on Bonaire's latest crisis. Now to see if the current lockdown (until the end of the month) continues its effects, and if the locals can maintain their discipline. Full vaccination is a ways off....20k population, 40k shots, 2960 first shots and 313 2nd shots as of 22 March, pace is about 200 and a bit per week, 5 days per week, which is maybe 40 weeks of vaccinations needed; they are only at about two weeks at speed, so 38 weeks to go, so end of the year at this pace. The good news is that additional vaccination resources appear to be arriving, so the pace can increase. It is a race of local discipline against vaccination pace.
upload_2021-3-23_12-51-0.png

Pretty much the same for us except our May 2020 was cancelled. And now May 2021 is pushed out to 2022. A group we meet up with have been going annually for over 25 years!!!
We were trying to get that tradition going. Our December 2020 trip got cancelled, still hopeful for late September of this year.

We were trying to get that tradition going. Our December 2020 trip got cancelled, still hopeful for late September of this year.
So hard to get a group of people from all over to settle on a week... Just easier for us to push it out another year. I don't think I can make it until next fall/winter. This is the longest we have ever gone without diving and it sucks!!!

Official word is out that vaccination registrations for everyone under 60 will be accepted starting Monday. That's more hopeful news. Nearly 12k doses arrived today and the plan is to increase the injection rate by double per day and add a 6th day a week.

Full vaccination is a ways off....20k population, 40k shots, 2960 first shots and 313 2nd shots as of 22 March, pace is about 200 and a bit per week, 5 days per week, which is maybe 40 weeks of vaccinations needed; they are only at about two weeks at speed, so 38 weeks to go, so end of the year at this pace. The good news is that additional vaccination resources appear to be arriving, so the pace can increase. It is a race of local discipline against vaccination pace.
Today's announcement was that 3172 have been vaccinated once, and 460 twice, with 4272 registered and waiting. Registration will now be open to all adults 18 years old+. With more vaccines and now 6 days per week instead of just 5, and more vaccination lines, the target is 500 shots per day. This could bring the goal line from the end of the year back to late summer. Nice!

Today's announcement was that 3172 have been vaccinated once, and 460 twice, with 4272 registered and waiting. Registration will now be open to all adults 18 years old+. With more vaccines and now 6 days per week instead of just 5, and more vaccination lines, the target is 500 shots per day. This could bring the goal line from the end of the year back to late summer. Nice!
Earlier in the month my wife had signed up on the vaccination website. She got a confirmation E mail as did I. I didn't get the next E mail informing me of my appointment times. I called in and eventually got them but was told my wife wasn't registered because she wasn't over 60. With the latest news that 18-60 year olds can start registering on Monday she fully planned on doing so. Yesterday she got an E mail with her appointment dates, probably from the original registration. That's a positive thing.

Today the rate of new cases dropped quite a bit from 72 yesterday to 29 today. No upward surge in people in the ICU and no new deaths so that's good too. One day doesn't make a trend though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Some promising news.

"On March 26, 2021, there are 448 active cases of Covid-19 on Bonaire. 71 test result came in and 17 were positive. 16 people have recovered from Covid-19. There are a total of 13 hospital admissions due to Covid-19. 10 people were admitted at the hospital on Bonaire, 3 of them are in the intensive care department . 2 people are in the hospital of Curaçao and 1 person is in the hospital of Aruba."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom