Cozumel is heading back to “normal”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sefuchs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Business and tourist level has picked up dramatically the last few months. We were here the end of Oct (unfortunately during the hurricane) and here now the end of March. Much more activity around town, our hotel is full but limited to 70% capacity, more dive boats out and the restaurants (that survived) are fairly busy. Our dive op said they are maxed out and are having to turn away divers. Nice seeing life getting closer too “normal” here.

We all hope Cozumel gets back to normal, however having been here at Christmas, Feb, and now in March. We also see the spring break spike, but I would not call this “normal”. We are currently at having breakfast at Rock & Java. They just said they are still down 75%. Mega has stopped carrying the items Americans and Canadians buy because it was being thrown away. Yes things are a little busier and slowly increasing. My concern is what happens once the seasonal flights stop and the heat of summer show up? Funny thing is we feel safer visiting Cozumel more than places in the states because of the way the WHOLE island is working to make tourists and locals stay safe! So please come visit!! And if anyone has any questions about what they are doing for safety please message me & I will be glad to answer.

we were down for a couple of weeks in feb. all the cheesy cruise-owned shops are still closed and there is definitely a palpable desperation to the hawkers around the plaza. I would agree that Coz is safer virus wise than the US. Much better commitment and adherence to PPE and all that. I wouldn't say its normal, yet. Its more like a jelly donut without the jelly. Its still a yummy donut but just without that little something special. Still one of my favorite places in the world, though.

I am not saying it is normal but definitely heading the right direction. The places that rely solely on the cruisers are still in despair or shut down completely. The dive business’s are extremely busy, A few of the party boats are out and about, more of the shops are open and are fairly busy. True it is not the beehive of activity of pre-covid days but has a much more positive feel than a few months back. We generally eat at restaurants back off the main drag and they tell me every week is getting better and the ones we visit are near 70-80% of normal. Probably bc this is more expat, local and diver locales. My guess is if things continue like this we’ll see Mega and more of the main drag stuff perk back up.

"Normal"? Are the Cozumelenos vaccinated? As my wife and I just got our first vaccine jab, and vaccine distribution is ramping up, we optimistically started thinking about a Coz trip this winter. Today I read something from a CDC spokesperson saying there is a good likelihood we (I suppose they mean worldwide) will see a new wave of infections with the more transmissible variants--though perhaps less deadly because the most vulnerable should have some immunity by then. It doesn't seem out of the question that by December a vaccine-resistant variant could become prevalent. It all still feels in too much of a state of flux for us to commit to buying tickets. :(

I believe most Cozumelenos are as afraid of starving bc of no tourist income as they are of COVID-19. They are thrilled to see people coming back. If you are nervous about it stay home its your choice, but I’m going to help the Coz economy and my own personal sanity by visiting as much as I can.

We have received our vaccine shots and are heading there in May. Looking forward spreading a few dollars around and tipping well but especially to seeing the condition of the reef after a year off. Hoping that the time off from divers and cruise ships has been a benefit to the habitat if not the economy.

Going to be there end of June beginning of July. Family of five diving dining and drinking the latter in moderation. Doing my part to rebuild the economy. I know they drop some dollars, but I hope the cruise ships are still at least partially sidelined at that point.

How is Mexico (Cozumel in particular) doing with their COVID vaccinations? Personally, that's what I'm waiting for.

Not because I'm "afraid" (that trope is consonantly trotted out by COVID denialists to smear others who raise inconvenient facts), but because I'm more concerned with "doing the right thing" than enjoying a nice dive vacation right now. Others obviously make different choices.

The pandemic isn't over. And Mexico's record on managing the pandemic is not good (/understatement).
Those are facts worth remembering.

6047a211eb97b.image.jpg

The US just announced (couple days ago) that we would be "lending" some vaccine to our neighbors Mexico and Canada (seems we have or soon will have plenty of it, Mexico is in need, Canada seems a bit confused). While there may be a complex mix of ulterior motives at play with this help for Mexico, anything that helps get more vaccine to Mexico seems like a good thing to me.

"Normal"? Are the Cozumelenos vaccinated? As my wife and I just got our first vaccine jab, and vaccine distribution is ramping up, we optimistically started thinking about a Coz trip this winter. Today I read something from a CDC spokesperson saying there is a good likelihood we (I suppose they mean worldwide) will see a new wave of infections with the more transmissible variants--though perhaps less deadly because the most vulnerable should have some immunity by then. It doesn't seem out of the question that by December a vaccine-resistant variant could become prevalent. It all still feels in too much of a state of flux for us to commit to buying tickets. :(

If you're waiting for the CDC to give you their blessing and for us to know how things will be 9 months later, you'll be staying at home for the next few years. I think we are approaching herd immunity - not there yet - but within months. About 15-25% have been vaccinated and another 20% have had "nature's vaccine". 25% are under age 18 who are mostly unaffected. A couple million more people get vaccinated every day, and those that have been vaccinated are the most vulnerable.

No one wants to celebrate prematurely and there may be areas that see increases in "cases" but CDC data shows new cases are in a nose dive. The charts are similar for hospitalizations and deaths.
COVID Data Tracker Weekly Review

Since most of the tourists coming to Mexico are Americans what is happening in America is quite relevant to what will happen in Cozumel. Does anyone have a comparable source with graphs for cases, hospitalizations, and deaths in Cozumel or QRoo?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom