Cozumel is heading back to “normal”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going to be there end of June beginning of July. Family of five diving dining and drinking the latter in moderation. Doing my part to rebuild the economy. I know they drop some dollars, but I hope the cruise ships are still at least partially sidelined at that point.

I was there in September. The reefs looked markedly better than the previous year. There's speculation that the lack of sewerage coming from the hotels on the southside were helping the reefs the most.

If you're waiting for the CDC to give you their blessing and for us to know how things will be 9 months later, you'll be staying at home for the next few years. I think we are approaching herd immunity - not there yet - but within months. About 15-25% have been vaccinated and another 20% have had "nature's vaccine". 25% are under age 18 who are mostly unaffected. A couple million more people get vaccinated every day, and those that have been vaccinated are the most vulnerable.

No one wants to celebrate prematurely and there may be areas that see increases in "cases" but CDC data shows new cases are in a nose dive. The charts are similar for hospitalizations and deaths.
COVID Data Tracker Weekly Review

Since most of the tourists coming to Mexico are Americans what is happening in America is quite relevant to what will happen in Cozumel. Does anyone have a comparable source with graphs for cases, hospitalizations, and deaths in Cozumel or QRoo?

I do not believe most people realize what a perilous time we are in at the moment.

The combination of actively circulating virus mixed in with vaccinated people is creating a selective advantage for the variant strains to jump from infected person into vaccinated person and then negate the vaccine and vaccination we have all worked so hard for.

This is why the CDC is acting people with vaccine to behave as if they have not had the vaccine. We are not in the clear until this thing stops circulating world wide.

We are not in the clear until this thing stops circulating world wide.

Which means we may never be in the clear. Some believe it's like the flu; the cat's out of the bag, the horse is out of the barn, Pandora's box is open, pick your metaphor, and especially considering the poor rural areas of the Earth and the extent of travel nationally and internationally...it won't stop circulating. Yes, eventually the WHO will take away the pandemic designation, daily new cases and deaths will plateau at rates much lower than peak...and SARS-CoV-2 will still be here.

The contentious issue is how close to that point (which may take years) do we say 'enough' and go back to living life normally?

In time, it'll be interesting to see how different societies deal with this, and consider the different outcomes. Grand Cayman and Cozumel seem to've taken opposite approaches, but they were different places going into the pandemic. Could Cozumel have endured using the same approach G.C. did?

If you're waiting for the CDC to give you their blessing and for us to know how things will be 9 months later, you'll be staying at home for the next few years. I think we are approaching herd immunity - not there yet - but within months. About 15-25% have been vaccinated and another 20% have had "nature's vaccine". 25% are under age 18 who are mostly unaffected. A couple million more people get vaccinated every day, and those that have been vaccinated are the most vulnerable.

No one wants to celebrate prematurely and there may be areas that see increases in "cases" but CDC data shows new cases are in a nose dive. The charts are similar for hospitalizations and deaths.
COVID Data Tracker Weekly Review

Since most of the tourists coming to Mexico are Americans what is happening in America is quite relevant to what will happen in Cozumel. Does anyone have a comparable source with graphs for cases, hospitalizations, and deaths in Cozumel or QRoo?

I hope you're right. I'm trying to persuade my wife that we should buy the tickets based on best-case scenario, and think about the possible costs of changing our plans as the overhead of our hobby. I know the CDC never wants to get anyone's hopes up. Their official line remains "avoid unnecessary travel."

I apologize for injecting (ha ha) Covid into what was originally a post purely about Coz's apparently recovering economy. It's just so tied to making travel plans.

I do not believe most people realize what a perilous time we are in at the moment.

The combination of actively circulating virus mixed in with vaccinated people is creating a selective advantage for the variant strains to jump from infected person into vaccinated person and then negate the vaccine and vaccination we have all worked so hard for.

This is why the CDC is acting people with vaccine to behave as if they have not had the vaccine. We are not in the clear until this thing stops circulating world wide.
So they will insist on control until it stops circulating? That is my theory too.

I apologize for injecting (ha ha) Covid into what was originally a post purely about Coz's apparently recovering economy. It's just so tied to making travel plans.
As a friend of mine always said, the two are "inexplicably inextricable".

Are the Cozumelenos vaccinated?

How is Mexico (Cozumel in particular) doing with their COVID vaccinations? Personally, that's what I'm waiting for.
I've seen at least one night that a Cozumel clinic was begging at midnight for more to come in so they wouldn't have to discard vaccines.

I've seen at least one night that a Cozumel clinic was begging at midnight for more to come in so they wouldn't have to discard vaccines.
Third world problems... must be a nice problem to have in this case.

Third world problems... must be a nice problem to have in this case.

No doubt. And it happens here, too. My wife was at a Walgreen's Pharmacy in February and the old man ahead of her was resistive to taking the vaccine, though the Pharmacist tried to convince him as some was about to expire and would have to be thrown out. So my wife, otherwise ineligible...got her Moderna shot. And got her 2nd shot this month.

Which sounds crazy, when we hear stories of people who qualify desperately calling around trying to find an appointment in parts of the U.S.

We are not in the clear until this thing stops circulating world wide.

Which you would estimate to occur when?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom