Trip Report Finally, back in SE Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunday was beautiful, I was wondering if the boats went out after hearing the grim predictions. I had a 5:00 pm flight, so spent the day walking the beach and lounging around the pool. Thought about snorkeling at the bridge, but the weather was so perfect, I couldn't pull myself away.

Day 7 March 23

Wow, what a way to go out. I did 2 dives today with Starfish out of Boynton Beach. Not to sound like a broken record (some of you may be too young to know what that is), but NOAA missed again. It was nearly perfectly flat and glassy today. It was a beautiful warm and sunny day. The water was 76 degrees, a mild north current, and visibility was at least 60 feet.

There were only 3 divers today, the deckhand, Ren, dived also. Our first dive was a hot drop on the Castor. You could see it shortly after you started down. There was a huge school of large Barracuda on the bow, I quit counting at 50. As I started back to the stern, a large Loggerhead Turtle swam by, along with a Goliath Grouper. On my way to the stern, one of the resident Bull Sharks cruised by a few times on the starboard, west, side. There was a very big school of Horse-Eye Jacks in front of the stern structure. There were fewer Goliath on the wreck today than sometimes, perhaps a half dozen. It's possible others were off the wreck in the mild current.

The second dive was on the northern reef at Lynn's and Castle Ledge. Good visibility, a mild current and fish everywhere you looked. We were met by a Bull Shark as soon as we descended that stayed with us for a little while. A large Goliath Grouper swam with us for several minutes before heading off. There were numerous, gigantic schools of grunt and everywhere you looked were Angelfish, Butterflyfish, Filefish, and Parrotfish of all kinds, along with other reef fish. Another, or the same, Bull Shark joined us near the end of the dive. It doesn't get a lot better.

So, I ended up getting in 18 dives in 6 of 7 possible diving days. I used 4 different operators, out of 3 different marinas. It's only 30 miles from Boynton Beach to Jupiter, with West Palm right in the middle. Sometimes you have to be very flexible to get in the maximum amount of diving. In addition, the different areas are quite complementary to one another in what they offer. My sincere thanks to Jupiter Dive Center, Narcosis, Loggerhead, and Starfish for allowing me to enjoy diving so much this week. As Arnold would say, I'll be back"

... As Arnold would say, I'll be back"
If you plan a June trip back, we should try to get a bunch of us locals to all jump on the same 'Saturday AM' boat. June is usually flat and very diveable and the added benefit is that most everyone will have completed their 2nd vaccine shot so a pretty safe bet. Doesn't matter to me what boat or what town, just have to pin it down 4 wks in advance so divers have a chance to sign on before it fills.

Really glad that you packed in the dives since the wave forecast has been messed up.

If you plan a June trip back, we should try to get a bunch of us locals to all jump on the same 'Saturday AM' boat. June is usually flat and very diveable and the added benefit is that most everyone will have completed their 2nd vaccine shot so a pretty safe bet. Doesn't matter to me what boat or what town, just have to pin it down 4 wks in advance so divers have a chance to sign on before it fills.

Really glad that you packed in the dives since the wave forecast has been messed up.
My next trip down will likely be in late April. I have nothing planned after that. A visit in early June might be in the cards. I'm scheduled to go to Malpelo in early July, rescheduled from June 2020. I'm hoping this trip will go. I'm lucky to be fully vaccinated at this time, one of the reasons I decided to come down now. We'll see. Would you bring seafood kabobs? :)

. Would you bring seafood kabobs? :)
Might have to 'up' my game and bring the whole dang barbecue grill on board!!

Here are a few photos from my dive at Lemon Drop with Jupiter Dive Center on March 19

upload_2021-3-23_21-8-31.png

upload_2021-3-23_21-9-19.png

upload_2021-3-23_21-10-0.png

upload_2021-3-23_21-10-36.png

upload_2021-3-23_21-12-11.png

upload_2021-3-23_21-12-53.png

upload_2021-3-23_21-13-29.png

upload_2021-3-23_21-14-5.png

upload_2021-3-23_21-15-0.png

upload_2021-3-23_21-17-25.png

I love this idea. Let’s make it happen.

Excellent reports Craig! So glad you ended up getting as much great diving in as you did and your perseverance and flexibility and knowledge of the area and options paid big dividends!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom