Cozumel is heading back to “normal”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Things normal here?? OMG, way far from it although I'm glad the little slice you seen seemed busy.

I've seen at least one night that a Cozumel clinic was begging at midnight for more to come in so they wouldn't have to discard vaccines.
Ok there has been two times vaccines were available for approved groups. Late feb they ran out on second day. Two weeks later mas o me os second shipment of vacines came in for people who missed out two weeks before. There were insane lines at the two hospitals doing the vacination. By the end of the day there were minor lines but begging to come in is not how i would describe it. In tulum last week there was more vaccine than arms. Meanwhile nobody knows when second dose will arrive

Ok there has been two times vaccines were available for approved groups. Late feb they ran out on second day. Two weeks later mas o me os second shipment of vacines came in for people who missed out two weeks before. There were insane lines at the two hospitals doing the vacination. By the end of the day there were minor lines but begging to come in is not how i would describe it. In tulum last week there was more vaccine than arms. Meanwhile nobody knows when second dose will arrive

There was one night recently that they were asking for people to come in as they had too much vaccine at the moment, but long lines seem to be the norm. I can say that from living here - it's a very confusing thing at getting in line or a number or whatever for your vaccination. I'm in my 50's and not up to bat yet and honestly will sit back and let others go ahead....

It's not glamorous but they are trudging forward - and all the folks of Cozumel have given up so much and worked so hard - very hard working very proud folks that live on this rock.

We in Coz in August. We were the only tourists that we saw walking down main street in San Miguel. It was horrifying.

The contentious issue is how close to that point (which may take years) do we say 'enough' and go back to living life normally?
Personally, I'm thinking it will be this year for many places. Heck, outside of a few oddballs such as myself most of Florida is back to normal except for token mask wearing. You know, you have to wear a mask for your first 2 minutes in a restaurant, but after you order your first drink there's no mask.

On the upside, grocery stores have stepped up their delivery game. I had stuff delivered when I could before covid but that was restricted to the few stores that offered the service. Now most stores do. That's mainly on account of the fact that I hate shopping.

Things normal here?? OMG, way far from it although I'm glad the little slice you seen seemed busy.

It might be a “small slice” but business activity is definitely improving. Our friends who live here (in the dive business) are slammed and booked for several weeks out. A couple that came with us who are non-divers are having a difficult time booking tours bc they are full. I’m sure the number of tour operators are down but still a positive sign. We went around the island yesterday and the tourist hotspots were packed, we had to wait to do the Tequila tour bc of so many people.

I apologize for injecting (ha ha) Covid into what was originally a post purely about Coz's apparently recovering economy. It's just so tied to making travel plans.

Thx for at least apologizing. Was really hoping we could have at least one thread that doesn’t get hijacked by everyones covid opinion but I guess that is inevitable.

Personally, I'm thinking it will be this year for many places. Heck, outside of a few oddballs such as myself most of Florida is back to normal except for token mask wearing. You know, you have to wear a mask for your first 2 minutes in a restaurant, but after you order your first drink there's no mask.

Kind of like on the dive boats - everybody wheres a mask until after 1st dive then all is good - no masks!?!

Kind of like on the dive boats - everybody wheres a mask until after 1st dive then all is good - no masks!?!
Sounds similar to the restaurant situation. I haven't been on a dive boat since covid started so personally can't say for sure.

1st dive, lol. More like ten minutes after leaving the dock. Everyone starts out with the best of intentions and then runs into the wall of practical reality.

So now it comes out--about the dive boats, that is. From some of the Coz threads over the past year I got the impression that at least mask-wearing and distancing were being adhered to, though I also recall someone saying that those adhering to these protocols are mostly locals. I haven't been on a dive boat in over a year--anywhere. Shore diving, I try to keep the reg in and dive mask on if making my way between strangers. I can't say for certain what I would do on a boat if after the first dive people got lax with the mask wearing. Would I succumb to the feeling of peer pressure or stick to my guns? I have been thinking about this more and more lately: Once my wife and I are fully vaccinated, and we find ourselves in, say, Coz, will we more easily let our mask down, so to speak? In other words, will we start caring less about the (apparently low) likelihood of transmitting it to others? I hope not, but I'm human.

Back
Top Bottom