First Turret style 1st Stage. Up or down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just phil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi people.
So I purchased my first turret style 1st stage (D3 HOG). I was just about to start attaching hoses & it dawned on me that, in theory, it go either way. What I mean is, the turret could be positioned up (potentially a head banger?) or down toward the crown of the tank.
Which is the “Right” way? Why?
Extra info: Rec diver. ZERO plan to move to Tech. Always single tank. Use the long/short hose with spg setup.

If this is one of “those” questions, I apologize in advance. I’m just trying to learn.

Thanks in advance
Phil

Hi people.
So I purchased my first turret style 1st stage (D3 HOG). I was just about to start attaching hoses & it dawned on me that, in theory, it go either way.

In practice, too, it can go either way. I mostly dive doubles nowadays, and the reg body sits at a 45 degree angle or so--neither up nor down. I believe when I use my single-tank HOG regs, which is not very often, I have them seated turret-down. Whatever works for you. Head banging?--try the other way.

If your using a long hose, position it down and tilted just a bit so that you can put the long hose on the 5th port and it will aim toward your right hip.

I dive a single with a turret up, but obviously I am in minority. I have had several dive guides try to “correct it” for me (so I know I am in minority) but I feel that turret rotates better when up and I have the least amount of pull from my second stage. When I dive turret down, the hoses “lock-in” on my shoulders and I feel like no advantage of having a turret... Which is fine too, of course, (like my mk17 or 11) but then I need a swivel for the hose.
There is a concern for some that it can bang on the back of their head when sticking out like that, but I have not encountered it to be a problem.

If you use the 5th port, most likely its going down.. or atleast near horizontal. The 5th port, theoretically is the best breathing port as well... although in real life it probably doesn't matter.

The only time I think the 5th port up is useful is... I had to used it 5th port up for one instance, my GF had a back inflate bcd with a plastic BP + handle. The handle would kink the hoses, so I put the 5th port up. This allowed the hoses to clear the handle without kinking the hoses. Single tank rec only. No long hose.

The 5th port, theoretically is the best breathing port as well... although in real life it probably doesn't matter.

Capture.JPG

Are you suggesting the 90 degree turn inhibits air flow enough to affect WOB?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom