Bottoms of feet cold (drysuit, 39F / 3.9C water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I didn't see here was use of Argon gas as suit gas. It is really warmer, compared to air water feels 2-3 degrees warmer.
Are you purging your suit with it a few times on the surface?

Like one under the other? Which one are you putting underneath?

The hot foot go on first (the thinner pair), then the Arctics over the top.

I do have two pairs of boots, one for summer and one for winter. So that I can wear both socks in the winter and only the hot socks in the summer. However, I hardly ever do this. I like to keep warm, so I almost always wear the two pairs, all that happens is the summer dives get longer.

Yes, that it how it should be. So you don't have air inside suit, only argon.
Yeah, agree. I don't think argon can or should be encouraged without adding requirement of a suit purge pre-dive, which renders argon a less compelling option for most people.

If you are predominantly frog kicking and maintaining horizontal trim with your knees bent and feet raised above your legs then you may not be getting good circulation of air to your feet. The air at your feet will cool due to radiant heat transfer and your feet will get cold. Counter this by straightening your legs and shifting your body trim position from time to time to move the air warmed by your core throughout your suit and especially down to your feet.

Also, if the NRS boots you are wearing are creating a "form fit" with the insulating layers you wear on your feet, you might want to try a more rigid boot that supports the type of kick you prefer while giving you less compression of your feet....less compression will promote better circulation which will promote warmer feet.

This time of year, I wear a thin whitewater kayak helmet liner beany under my 6mm neoprene hood...it provides a little more insulation on my noggin, and when my head is comfortable the rest of my body tends to be more comfortable.

A few more thoughts...comfort is a relative thing. You will never feel as warm and cozy diving as you do sitting in your living room. There is a certain amount of cold/discomfort that needs to be tolerated to enjoy the benefits of diving in the winter. Cold tolerance is a dynamic thing as well. I find that my cold tolerance is much better if I dive regularly though the autumn and into winter as opposed to having a break and getting back in the water infrequently just in the winter after the temps have plummeted. Just because one was able to tolerate the cold one season does not mean they can or will be able to tolerate the cold the next. As an avid alpine skier, there are swaths of places I will not ski anymore, like New England, because the cold and icy wind is just unbearable to me as I get older. Perhaps as a suggestion, take a month or so off from diving when the temps are at the extreme...use that time to explore other interests and reengage with diving when the temps are more tolerable for you.

-Z

If you really can't stand to stay out of the water during the colder winter months then perhaps a heated insole like those used in ski boots might be something worth looking into/investing in. Companies that come to mind are Thermic and Hotronic. The insoles themselves are not that expensive but the battery packs they offer tend to be. Though the folks that I know who have them, swear by them.

Hotronic

Therm-ic

-Z

I use a pair of caving socks. These are made of neoprene, are a close fit and insulate well. Over that I can wear other socks if necessary. My drysuit has neoprene socks too, so something like 10mm of neoprene, plus the rock boots.

How much of what you wear are synthetics? If your core garments arent wool.. then get them. Baselayer in wool, and socks in wool will stay warmer for longer even if damp or wet. This is the one true unique property of wool that scientists have not managed to replicate in synthetic garments yet.

Point two:
Eat MORE! Diving in cold water demands a bucketload of calories. All else being the same, the difference between a good hearty breakfast (talking, eggs, bacon, avocado, juice, bread, butter... the whole 9 yards) AND a HOT caloriefilled meal right before splash can be anything from 30mins and shivering in 4 degrees C to 3,5hrs and toasty warm. CALORIES matter. Oh, and wool... wool is nice!

And a heated vest...
But most of all... calories... fat and protein... and bring a banana in your drysuit pocket!

UPDATE: My feet were fine on my most recent dive! I went all out and employed a bit of everyone's suggestions, including:
  • Upgrading drysuit socks (Hotfoot Pro, which has extra insulation on the bottom)
  • Reducing the overall amount of insultation on my feet to allow for better air/blood flow (relatively thin wool hiking socks under Hotfoot)
  • Upgrading hood (added Lavacore layer—this made my hood fit better overall; I think my LDS sized me more for comfort than warmth, and I was getting some flushing)
  • Eating more protein and more generally for breakfast
  • Keeping myself warmer before the dive
  • Putting my face in the water without a mask and blowing bubbles before the dive until the cold shock dissipated
  • Watching suit squeeze over the course of the dive (I used my wing less overall, but I'll still be adding another two pounds)
Hard to point to any one thing, obviously, but it all teamed up to keep my feet sufficiently warmer. I really appreciate everyone's advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom