Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,

For now I am certified as an advanced diver. But I would like to improve my skills and become a divemaster.

The only problem is that I am not that strong and not that big.I always struggle to put on all my gear and walk with it for 40 meters to the dive spot. It really hurt and cost me a lot of energy. I am around 1.58m and weight around 49. So it always feels like the gear is taking control of me. When there is a strong current I have troubles or when I have to get out of the water and there arent any stairs. I think this is a problem if I want to become a divemaster.

I can not go to the gym so during the week I try to walk 10k four times a week. However I rekon this wont be enough. So I was wondering if you had some ideas or advice how to handle this?
What kind of exercise do you do to stay in shape? And witch one you benefits the most from while diving?

If you are walking 10k four times a week, you are probably getting more exercise than most divers. While some upper body strength and overall stamina is advantageous to handling gear and climbing stairs, many divers with a smaller frame face these same challenges. The same goes for current. While there are some strategies to deal with current, there is a physical limit to what you can do. Fighting current is guaranteed to wear you out and deplete your air supply.

Before you get too focused on becoming a DM, you should consider a Rescue Course. This will challenge you physically but your walking regime should be more than adequate for the water.

Good luck....

" I am around 1.58m and weight around 49"

You didn't specify your age, but when you are young everything is possible. You do not have to go to gym, just exercise at home. You only need to do a few basics, like crunches every morning, push-ups, pull-ups etc and you'll notice changes soon.

Hi there,

For now I am certified as an advanced diver. But I would like to improve my skills and become a divemaster.

The only problem is that I am not that strong and not that big.I always struggle to put on all my gear and walk with it for 40 meters to the dive spot. It really hurt and cost me a lot of energy. I am around 1.58m and weight around 49. So it always feels like the gear is taking control of me. When there is a strong current I have troubles or when I have to get out of the water and there arent any stairs. I think this is a problem if I want to become a divemaster.

I can not go to the gym so during the week I try to walk 10k four times a week. However I rekon this wont be enough. So I was wondering if you had some ideas or advice how to handle this?
What kind of exercise do you do to stay in shape? And witch one you benefits the most from while diving?

I don’t know what your diving kit setup is, but you might want to see if you can do things like change tanks to something slightly smaller/lighter, if that’s possible.

If you are walking 10k four times a week, you are probably getting more exercise than most divers. While some upper body strength and overall stamina is advantageous to handling gear and climbing stairs, many divers with a smaller frame face these same challenges. The same goes for current. While there are some strategies to deal with current, there is a physical limit to what you can do. Fighting current is guaranteed to wear you out and deplete your air supply.

Before you get too focused on becoming a DM, you should consider a Rescue Course. This will challenge you physically but your walking regime should be more than adequate for the water.

Good luck....

OP would need Rescue before DM anyway.

Cardio is important (walking, running, swimming) but it sounds like weight training is also what you want. Old fashioned isometrics, pushups, squats, situps, etc still work and there are no membership fees required. DAN's Alert Diver magazine and web site has all kinds of fitness and conditioning recommendations that requires little to no equipment.

As others have suggested, you should be able to do a lot with just bodyweight exercises mentioned above. Also, your core muscles (abs, back muscles) are very important. They will greatly aid in carrying gear and assist with proper lifting form that can make up for raw upper body strength. I can recommend AB Ripper 100 > 200 > 300, you can find the video on youtube. Takes 10-15 mins max. Great easy way to work on your core at home. I've used it to great success in improving my situps for fitness tests in the military.

+1 on core work: it's good for more than strength, your lower back will thank you when/if you get one. If you can't go to the gym, I assume you have no access to a pool either? -- That is a pity because the best exercise for your fin swimming is the fin swimming.

Lots of good advice. He's my $.02. Walking is not giving you the cardio you need. If possible, start swimming laps (maybe with a Masters Swim team), distance and interval training. Great cardio without impact. If you are healthy also consider jogging/running some, again, split between distance and interval training.

Then, you need to work core and muscle. Start out doing pull ups, push ups, sit ups, leg lifts, etc. All can be done at home. Later add in weight training.

But, here is the KEY, stretch before any work outs, plenty of Youtube videos on stretching prior to working out. As with anything, start slow and build, keep a log so you can look back and see your progression.

Back
Top Bottom