What are your favorite easy wreck dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two wrecks come to mind for me in Florida, the Benwood in Key Largo, and the Okinawa in Pompano Beach.

The Benwood is a true wreck from WW2, about 40 ft to the sand, and FULL of life. Always see large schools of fish, eels, nurse sharks, etc. Not really any safe swim through opportunities on the Benwood.

The Okinawa is tug sunk in recent years (2017?) off Pompano Beach about 5 mins out from Hillsboro Inlet. This wreck has several fun swim through opportunities and usually a goliath grouper around with plenty of fish/barracudas. About 70 feet to the sand here. I like to take first time wreck divers to this wreck, they always have a great time on the Okie.

Far from the US, but considered one of the best wrecks in the world and very easy...
Thistlegorm

So first year diver, have done the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo twice and will do it a few more times in the next month. Dive with a slung 19 but could easily adapt to slinging a 40 without investing in a sidemount configuration.

The 3 deaths on the Vandenburg since August is giving me a little pause.

I looked at the Oriskany off Pensacola Fl, but it is 20 miles offshore and doesn't seem worth it if you're not diving doubles. That is a long day for a 30 minute dive on a single tank.

Planning to go to Bonaire when traveling eventually opens up so there is the Hilma Hooker.

Looking for other interesting wreck dives not harder than the Spiegel Grove.

Plan to eventually mostly do Caribbean destinations.

Duane and Bibb are no harder than the Spiegle Grove depending upon the day. In late July or early August when the weather is oppressively hot, the water flat and the current farther offshore, these two are great dives.

Would also recommend the Eagle as well under the same conditions.

The Governor's River Walk Wrecks are also pretty good as well. Think between Key Largo and Pompano area, I managed 200 dives about 1/2 of those on wrecks without being bored.

While some of the wrecks in the St. Lawrence are more difficult dives due to current, they are great and very much within recreational dive limits.

Yup wear some solid dive booties for the trek into the water. Has to be one of the best wrecks to dive for anyone with any cert level in Asia starting from 5m depth down to deeper than 30m. Great place to do a nitrox dive day or night.

Yes, a night dive on the Liberty is amazing and the crowds are gone.

Looking for other interesting wreck dives not harder than the Spiegel Grove. Plan to eventually mostly do Caribbean destinations.
A lot depends on what kind of 'wrecks' you want. If you are just looking for boats underwater, that attract fish, there are a lot of 'reefed' wrecks all along the East coast. The wrecks out of Pompano are a good example. There are quite a few 'reefed' wrecks, at different depths, and the dives are, frankly, good - water is warm, good visibility, etc. The Guy Harvey and the Miller Lite are good examples. While several of the enjoyable wrecks are a bit deeper than the SG - e.g. Hydro Atlantic, which is a 'foundered' wreck - I actually don't think they are more challenging, except for depth. Were it not for depth, they are probably just as easy dives. VERY enjoyable. The 'reefed' Captain Dan is popular, and an easy dive, as well. Out of Key largo, I actually prefer diving the Duane to the SG, in terms of marine life. It is a 'reefed' wreck, but I have seen some great 'critters' there. I enjoy the Benwood as a pleasant recreational dive - there isn't much of a 'wreck' left to see, but the marine life is quite good and it certainly is an easy dive.

As for the Oriskany, which you mentioned, I wouldn't do it as a recreational, single cylinder dive. You are right - a lot of travel to get out there, and you are more or less limited to the 'island'. OK, it is fun to drop to the flight deck, but that uses most of your gas if you are diving a single, with a limited amount to see. Yes, it is one of those 'checked box' - been there, done that - dives. But, I find it to be more enjoyable as a technical dive, when I can go to the sand and see the screws, than as a recreational dive.

Now, if you want history with your wrecks, there is a lot to dive off the coast of NC. There are a large number of real 'wrecks' - WWII and before - as well as a number of 'reefed' boats. The marine life is great. There are three diveable WWII german U-boats off the coast - U352,, U701, and U85 - and you can get a sense of history diving them. Human beings died on those boats, in combat. There is a certain aura that I feel when I touch those wrecks. A personal opinion - some of the really enjoyable wrecks, from the perspective of marine life - e.g. the Dixie Arrow and the FW Abrams - are most easily accessed out of Hatteras, rather than Morehead City or Wilmington.

In the St. Lawrence, diving out of Brockville, as mentioned, there are LOTS of great wrecks - real wrecks, at a variety of recreational depths. I absolutely LOVE diving there. Many of these are at recreational depths and are, from my perspective, no harder - in fact, easier - than the SG. Now, I really don't dive them for the marine life, rather I enjoy diving them for history. (FWIW, since you use the SG as one point of comparison, I have dove the SG quite a number of times, and I really don't find it to be all that interesting - just my opinion.)

From my perspective, the problem with the Caribbean, in the context of wrecks - there actually aren't that many. Yes, the Hooker on Bonaire is 'real', and mysterious to an extent. Plus, it is a very easy dive - lots of tarpon, lots of Sgt. Majors guarding their nests, lots of garden eels on the bottom, etc. For a very relaxing dive, you can't beat it. Off Roatan, the primary action is the 'reefed' Prince Albert. A nice dive. Not my particular favorite, but not unpleasant. But, that's about it for Roatan wrecks. There are a number of 'wrecks' off St. Thomas, and they are enjoyable. The Navy Barges - a ''reefed' wreck - is pleasant, and I have probably seen more rays on them than on any other single dive.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tugboat (Curacao). No current ever, and only about 20' so you could easily snorkel it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom