Somewhere like Bonne Terre that's not Bonne Terre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure what all of the hate against Bonne Terre is. Sure it is pricy and they have their own rules that not everyone understands but it is some great diving, especially in the middle of the winter when it is cold and snowing and you are diving in 54 degree water.

I have done it several times and the trails keep getting better and I will go back when I have the opportunity.

Instead of listening to all of the negative posts, many from people who haven't even been there, give it a try and see for yourself.

From all of the posts of similar places - none - your choices are limited.

If in Arizona you can do Lake Peasant. It has a nice abandoned dam in the lake. In the 90s a new dam was made down stream and the old lake was enlarged. The old dam had a slice cut out of it so if the water were to ever get low enough there would still be a channel for it. It takes a boat to get out there. Couple boats on the lake do dive charters from time to time.

This is what it was like just before the cut the old dam and finished filling the lake
site93-300x178.jpg

Depending on time of year and how the summer water usage has been going the top of the old dam ranges from 30-70 feet. The bottom, just call it 200+ most of the year.

Not sure what all of the hate against Bonne Terre is. Sure it is pricy and they have their own rules that not everyone understands but it is some great diving, especially in the middle of the winter when it is cold and snowing and you are diving in 54 degree water.

I have done it several times and the trails keep getting better and I will go back when I have the opportunity.

Instead of listening to all of the negative posts, many from people who haven't even been there, give it a try and see for yourself.

From all of the posts of similar places - none - your choices are limited.

I second this! I've only done three dives at Bonne Terre, but it was really neat and different from any other diving experiences I've had. If you go in with the right mindset (i.e. accepting the prices and rules for what they are), it is really enjoyable.

I second this! I've only done three dives at Bonne Terre, but it was really neat and different from any other diving experiences I've had. If you go in with the right mindset (i.e. accepting the prices and rules for what they are), it is really enjoyable.
I've enjoyed my diving at Bonne Terre. Sure it has it's downsides with the pricing. I think the rules start making more sense especially once you do a couple of dives there. It's easy to see that someone could become seriously lost in there. Also there are a few areas that have overhead for a good distance which if someone were to get panicked could lead to a bad situation. Having been there a time or two a year over the past 3 years the variety of the "trails" has maintained my interest. Try it and see if you like it. The water is cold at about 57 degrees. I would recommend a 7 mm or dive it dry.

Ah, I would suggest it’s a waste time with diving Monte Ne. The lake gets really murky at the shallow end, nothing to see, most likely just a few feet visibility.

It’s an interesting story, and I actually saw the entire site out of the water about 45 years ago. The mud is almost as deep as the water.

The other end of the lake though is currently crystal clear, you can see the bottom in 20-25’ of water.
Is it always murky at Monte Ne, or was that just at the time? My wife and I are looking for somewhere near KC to go next month..

Is it always murky at Monte Ne, or was that just at the time? My wife and I are looking for somewhere near KC to go next month..
@clevermonkey23 ,

Table Rock Lake MO can be a day dive trip from KC. The visibility is very good for a freshwater Army Corps of Engineers lake.

rx7diver

There's a missile silo in TX, too: Diving Deep in the Heart of Texas – Valhalla Nuclear Missile Silo. (I've never been there, though.)

rx7diver
I've dived the Dive Valhalla twice. It's fun to do, and you'll get a really cool t-shirt for making the dive, but it's really a BTDT (been there, done that) site. Ain't a whole lot to see other than some bolts on the wall at 40' and a girder pile at 130'.

Plus, accessing the dive site is a bear. There's a big staging area, but you've gotta lug your your gear through a couple of blast doors and down concrete stairs inside a narrow concrete tunnel. You'll probably need to make two trips. From the staging area, you'll be walking down a very long set of wooden stairs to the mid-pool platform. Then reverse the process to get back to your vehicle.

That being said, I enjoyed diving the site, and I'd recommend it.

Although not in USA, for your knowlege there's a real Nice defunct gold mine in Brazil (Mina da Passagem) used since the 18th century, and the access is still done by the 1930's pneumatic driven trolley, the water starts at 350 metres below earth, and has a rebreather friendly faccility with He and Else.
This vídeo i've shot during my initial cave training, It has galleries well beyond 50 metres deep with a maximum 120+ reached (none has done the whole Mine and its conducts) also a good place for the dry tour under the earth
A really fine trip, 2 hours ride from Belo Horizonte international airport in the center of 17's century historical cities

@clevermonkey23 yes, it’s unfortunately always low vis that far south in Beaver lake because of the greater influx of running water. We dive up by the dam for just that reason. Last weekend was about 20-25’ vis at Beaver until we got to 100’. I imagine tablerock is about the same and maybe a slightly shorter trip from KC.

Not a lot of divers right now on the lakes because water temps are low 40’s. A great time to be learning side mount though, less people to laugh at my tanks and trim akimbo. Give me a yell if you want to meet up sometime.

Will do. My wife and I are just getting started and want to try something around here before she has surgery late March.

Google says Beaver is a quicker drive, but they are about the same. Do you dive most weekends right now?

Back
Top Bottom