Oceans subsonic computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's really nice, it hits almost all the right buttons in what I would want in a DC.
Since its kind of new I will have to wait for some in depth reviews to comment further but just looking at it I love the idea of being able to Ping another diver and love the look of the display and a bunch of other things.

If I was to critique it, my only wish would be that it had an AI version and that the Ping was a bit more than just that. It would be great if it had at least five short programmable messages or even canned messages. I would at least want to know if a ping was a desperate cry for help or a casual message to come see something interesting.

Due to that I don't think I would use that feature very often, it might really piss off my buddy and vice versa if our hearts race every time it goes off.
It would seem to me that since it can send out 8 different pings for different divers they could put in an option that uses 8 different messages between just two divers? Their website seems to be targeting instructors but are instructors really going to dole out that kind of cash to outfit multiple students? I think a more likely market is regular divers that want to exchange basic messages between buddies. I would love to hear your thoughts on that.

It's really nice, it hits almost all the right buttons in what I would want in a DC.
Since its kind of new I will have to wait for some in depth reviews to comment further but just looking at it I love the idea of being able to Ping another diver and love the look of the display and a bunch of other things.

If I was to critique it, my only wish would be that it had an AI version and that the Ping was a bit more than just that. It would be great if it had at least five short programmable messages or even canned messages. I would at least want to know if a ping was a desperate cry for help or a casual message to come see something interesting.

Due to that I don't think I would use that feature very often, it might really piss off my buddy and vice versa if our hearts race every time it goes off.
It would seem to me that since it can send out 8 different pings for different divers they could put in an option that uses 8 different messages between just two divers? Their website seems to be targeting instructors but are instructors really going to dole out that kind of cash to outfit multiple students? I think a more likely market is regular divers that want to exchange basic messages between buddies. I would love to hear your thoughts on that.

your remarks are all valid in my opinion and they are all software related and not hardware related. which gives a good chance for some of them to be considered and integrated in some later updates.

Only one nitrox mix (and from what I see it is selectable only by increments of 2%, I believe), no custom gradient factors (just 3 conservativeness levels, whatever they are), no dive planner, only 3 level of max PPO2 (1.4, 1.2 and 1.0 atm).
Given the very basic features it has it seems targeted only to very beginners and/or dive centers. At the price they are asking there are tons DCs I would choose first. YMMV

It was kind of coincidental that just hours after the OPS post that simply Scuba did a unboxing and features demonstration.

The more I think about this unit and how it directly competes with the Peregrine but costs a bit more. I think they should have ditched the whole DC idea and made a smaller cheaper dedicated underwater communication device instead. Maybe something with 20 custom phrases and the ability to send it to any one of eight divers or all divers for the emergency message and range that is closer to 50M.
My thinking is that they could be the kings of a new market segment instead of trying to scratch their way up in a crowded DC market.

The computer is said to run Buhlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors. It has 3 presets called normal, conservative, and more conservative. Corresponding GFs are not mentioned. No custom setting. It would be very interesting to see the NDLs off the planner, however, no planner is mentioned in the user's manual. No planner is mentioned in the video supplied by @Robbyg either. I would have assumed it has one, maybe someone can fill us in when they have it in hand

I have no use for the ping, what seems to be its selling feature. At nearly $600, this is quite expensive for a basic computer. In my mind, not at all competitive with a Peregrine.

I think it has a potential to be really good. Maybe some discussions before hand about the ping feature. Like dont use the ping unless its an emergency. I can understand the higher price (at least a little) because of the ping and the compass. It does look kind of cheaply made. And it would have to come out of that silicone after every dive and get soaked, but the idea has potential.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom