Shearwater Teric why no password system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can unlock your iPhone by resetting it and restoring the backup data from your ITunes account. Good luck with Android :eek: it's not like they even pretend to secure your private info. I would much rather have an Apple phone that at least takes security and personal info seriously.

It cannot get locked permanently, it cannot stop you from using it and it cannot interfere with your dive! You did read my first post?

So who is going to buy a device that displays another persons Name and Number and just accept an answer like "I forgot the password"? You would of course want a refund and if that was not forth coming you would contact PayPal, eBay or your credit card company. All of those entities would know the sellers real name and address. Also any sensible person would contact the real owner after they got their refund and let them know the case number with PayPal so that they can contact the police.

You keep maneuvering around the simple legal fact that as it stands right now if someone deletes your user info in a Teric it becomes theirs permanently, but If they cannot delete the information that DC becomes stolen property and will forever be stolen property that can lead to a possible arrest and a return of that property for as long as it exists.
Secondly someone is going to have to eventually send the unit in for a battery replacement and Shearwater would probably not return property that has a name and number discrepancy without contacting the number on the screen and verifying that everything is legit.

In a nutshell, a password system on just the user info makes keeping or selling someone else's Teric a lot less attractive than it is right now.

I’m in your camp. Would be a good feature.

What do you think should happen if someone repeatedly enters the wrong password?

What do you think should happen if someone repeatedly enters the wrong password?
Whatever Shearwater thinks is appropriate.
If I was doing it I would use a five digit code and just make it a maximum of 10 tries before you have to wait 6 hours to try another 10 again. You can still do everything like normal with the Teric during this 6 hour period but the OWNERS info in the settings menu will not allow another change attempt until the 6 hours expires. That would mean it would take you about 6.8 Years to go through all the combinations if it was numeric only password.

Shearwater already has a full Alphanumeric input system on that menu item, so if they want to get even more security they can allow the input of letters as well. This would mean it would take decades to break in or they can lower the time out interval to an hour and still have the same level of protection as just numbers alone.

When I dealt with Garmin, I thought they could locate the owner with the serial number since probably everyone registers the device to use with the Garmin apps. Maybe Shearwater users don't?

It's funny to read about iOS and Android phone security when both OS'es took years to implement/force users to have pins, passwords, etc. BlackBerry was way ahead on that... password, auto data wipe, remote locate, remote wipe, secure backup, remote backup, remotely activate loud alarm.

When I dealt with Garmin, I thought they could locate the owner with the serial number since probably everyone registers the device to use with the Garmin apps. Maybe Shearwater users don't?

It's funny to read about iOS and Android phone security when both OS'es took years to implement/force users to have pins, passwords, etc. BlackBerry was way ahead on that... password, auto data wipe, remote locate, remote wipe, secure backup, remote backup, remotely activate loud alarm.

Blackberry was the darling child of governments and CEO's who wanted security first and foremost. Apple was smart in that they did not play into Blackberry's strengths but instead first went after all their weaknesses. Once they had beaten them in every other category and had eliminated them, they then concentrated on getting the same or higher level of security. I don't mention Android because they don't really care about security.

Re Garmin/Shearwater: Serial number security is a can of worms on these devices. In the digital world it is straight forward but in the legal world it is a murky soup. It often means the manufacturer must provide proper info for every court case and possibly send people to testify to how the data was gathered and how reliable that data is.
That's why simple locking of the user info is so great, the evidence is clear and speaks for itself.

Kind of makes me miss the old blackberry. The physical keyboard was far superior to any android/ios phone's touch only interface. The phones would store and play MP3 files on removable storage too. It supported VPN, which I used to great effect at work. They could be remotely unlocked and wiped by the sysadmin. Nobody could have killed blackberry as effectively as they killed themselves. It was light years ahead of the competition in all but a few areas. By the time they came around to adding consumer oriented features it was way too late.

I always wanted one of the android phones with a flip down keyboard but manufacturers always added that feature onto hardware that otherwise sucked.

Back
Top Bottom