Painting a steel rod for hanging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I swear by Hammerite paint for steel. Take a look around the web. Stuff is excellent.

I found a powder coat place, I'll get a price tomorrow for it when they open.

I know you're asking about painting mild steel, but you can find stainless rod on ebay for pretty cheap. Does this hanger have to color match? If not then stainless might be a better option.

I do understand if you're using what you already have in stock though. Just wanted to throw out an alternate idea. Good luck.

Powder coating is out. Shop minimum of 200 or 300.

Yes I'm using what I have rather than buying something.

Slide a piece of PVC pipe over the steel pipe. I have used 1/2" electrical conduit inside 3/4" PVC with some construction adhesive to fill most of the gaps. I imagine you can find metric pipe sizes where the IDs and ODs work. Here is a chart for divers in the US:

upload_2021-3-30_9-0-46.png

You can also try garden hose over pipe.

Another option is "industrial coating" rather than paint aka paint with epoxy in it. Home depot sells it as "garage floor paint." Generally good 'n strong. Epoxy - Garage Floor Paint - Paint - The Home Depot

Don't let some of those extreme pricetags dissuade you. Sort on price and they have the house brand (behr) for $33/gal. Might be able to get a quart or sample size from them in the store.

You can get regular clear (or close enough to clear) 2 part epoxy on amazon for under 20 bucks with prime shipping as well. Put that over regular paint of your choosing. I'd probably go that route myself since I have a couple gallons in my garage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom