Technical Diving Instructor Recommendations - SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tototime

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, new to the fourm but have been diving for about three years.

At this junction, I've fallen in love with diving. I am getting my AOW rec cert on an upcoming trip, but I'm also very interested in tec diving. It appeals to me as a way to explore wrecks that are dififuclt to access at recreational limits.

I'm also a bit of a nerd and very type-a. The planning and kitting up aspect of tec diving (along with the significant training involved to improve my diving acumen) appeal to me as well.

As the subject line says, does anyone on the board have recommendation for good tec instructors in SoCal? I'm located in Manhattan Beach. My LDS is Eco Dive Center (which is a TDI shop). Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm willing to go as far south as San Diego if the instructors are truly outstanding outside of my local area.

I'd also like to be a little flexible with my tec dives (I've reasearched that GUE tends to be a bit more...prescriptive). I'd like to eventually have the flexibility to dive sidemount and CCR and don't want to spend the next two years training just to go on my first real dive. This is just from my research and is likely an ignorant opinion, so please correct me if I have formed the wrong perception of GUE.

Thanks for your help!

-TW

At this junction, I've fallen in love with diving. I am getting my AOW rec cert on an upcoming trip, but I'm also very interested in tec diving. It appeals to me as a way to explore wrecks that are dififuclt to access at recreational limits.

I'm also a bit of a nerd and very type-a. The planning and kitting up aspect of tec diving (along with the significant training involved to improve my diving acumen) appeal to me as well.

As the subject line says, does anyone on the board have recommendation for good tec instructors in SoCal? I'm located in Manhattan Beach. My LDS is Eco Dive Center (which is a TDI shop). Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm willing to go as far south as San Diego if the instructors are truly outstanding outside of my local area.

I'd also like to be a little flexible with my tec dives (I've reasearched that GUE tends to be a bit more...prescriptive). I'd like to eventually have the flexibility to dive sidemount and CCR and don't want to spend the next two years training just to go on my first real dive. This is just from my research and is likely an ignorant opinion, so please correct me if I have formed the wrong perception of GUE.

Thanks for your help!

-TW

Independent of your future in tec diving (SM, BM, CCR, SMCCR, Cave, actual Wreck Penetration), I'd strongly recommend a GUE Fundies class. From there, you'll have a much more intimate understanding of its level of "prescriptiveness," and you'll be a huge step ahead relative to your peers if you go a different training route.

I’ll suggest contacting Steven Millington near LA. He’s a PADI instructor and is GUE instructor through Tech 1. And a professional drummer.

I did a couple of courses with him, drysuit and doubles, he was very good and very professional. He can rent you gear like tanks and BP&W, talk to him about this first.

steven@gue.com

Thanks all. I've elected to go with GUE after speaking with Karim and Francesco over at Zen Dive Co in Pasadena. I stopped by today - it's quite an impressive operation, and their attitude towards diving meshed well with me.

If you live in the LA area, I highly recommend making a stop.
I’ve only heard good things about Karim. I think you’ll be happy with Francesco. Good luck!

Thanks for your help!

-TW

You’ve just dipped a toe into breathing underwater. Go dive. A bunch. Figure out how to scuba at the level you’re at then worry about expanding your capabilities with technical training.

Thanks, I’m intending to take fundies this year, dive with the team for the remainder of the year where I’m located at a rec level, and then take my tec courses next year.

-TW

Thanks, I’m intending to take fundies this year, dive with the team for the remainder of the year where I’m located at a rec level, and then take my tec courses next year.

-TW
Choose your own pace. One of my former OW students earned his T1 cert after two years and 230 dives. Everyone is different. Only you know what works for you.

-TW

Hi TW,

I agree with PfcAJ, it's far too early to think about tech/cave/other stuff. These things require training, money and time. So dive, dive, dive - if you like it :)

However, the idea of taking fundies right now is a good one. If I were you, I wouldn't do it with tech diving in mind; on the contrary, I would just do the course thinking about improving my diving skills, so as to be more in control and have more fun. Nonetheless, I'll give you some info so that you are just a bit more informed when you will decide.

There are alternative courses similar to fundies that you may want to evaluate (with TDI and IANTD), but you need to consider at least these three factors (in favour of fundies) in your choice:
1 - You need to find the right instructor, which can be tough; with GUE, usually the technical skills of the instructor are guaranteed, so you just need to be sure that the instructor's style fits your personality.
2 - GUE is strongly team-oriented; this can be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on the situation but, in my opinion, it is a nice thing to try, especially if you are at the beginning.
3 - If you like GUE, and you want to continue with that route, you'll need fundies, so better started there - you are always on time to switch.

I am biased since I am GUE-trained and I loved it :) so I'd recommend you to speak with people with a different point of view, to extend your horizons. At the same time, don't get obsessed with it - once you find a high-quality instructor that fits your personality, go for it and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom