Reef Squid - Palm Beach - 3/28/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just love seeing caribbean reef squid. It’s always a treat. I find squid fascinating animals!

Sunday afternoon I found 5 of them lined up at the end of the 2nd dive. This was on Breakers North somewhere around the drop off near the end of 4th window roughly. Before Turtle Mound.

Here is a video and a couple screen captures.

98CE785B-E1E2-47DA-B3CE-EB2FDFAAE565.jpeg
7E888A04-F85A-402E-9A50-70D6A7FA7116.jpeg

Not me, but some divers & DM's have an amazing ability to interact with the squid and bring them closer as the squid appear curious. I only see them about once every 2 years and always thought it was because they were being blown in from offshore. You got some great video and shots, Nice Find !!

Not me, but some divers & DM's have an amazing ability to interact with the squid and bring them closer as the squid appear curious. I only see them about once every 2 years and always thought it was because they were being blown in from offshore. You got some great video and shots, Nice Find !!

Thank you! I'd love to be able to do that!

Apologies for the shacky video. There was a good bit of surge last Sunday afternoon and I refuse to plant myself on the reef for stability while filming. Occasionally if I'm on sand but not on the reef.

wow, cool video. Great pictures !

Sending out cool vibes and soothing thoughts seems to help.:wink:

I encountered one particularly bold individual yesterday at BHB, and saw a trio of octopus too, my first sighting of them in 2021.

Attachments

• Kulick-14-05-18-317.jpg
    Kulick-14-05-18-317.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 48
Sending out cool vibes and soothing thoughts seems to help.:wink:

I encountered one particularly bold individual yesterday at BHB, and saw a trio of octopus too, my first sighting of them in 2021.

Nice shot!

Thank you @JimBlay.

Here are a pair of images that I made of an individual who was either extremely courageous, curious, or completely lacking in its own sense of mortality. Found this squid at the Blue Heron Bridge on Wednesday, so it may not qualify as an off shore visitor to West Palm Beach, but may rather be classified as a local.

Kulick-21-03-31-101.jpg

Kulick-21-03-31-347.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom