Diver weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently got a BCD with weight pockets instead of having the traditional belt. Do most people use the BCD pockets solid lead weights or are the lead shot ones a lot better. Deciding if I need to buy new weights or not. Any info would be helpful.

I use soft bag weights, as solid leads may tear the weight pouch. When I travel by air I get weights from the local dive shop at destination. When I do local dives I carry my own weights.

I recently got a BCD with weight pockets instead of having the traditional belt. Do most people use the BCD pockets solid lead weights or are the lead shot ones a lot better. Deciding if I need to buy new weights or not. Any info would be helpful.

Hi Seville,

Shot packs by far, tend to mold to your personal profile, very easy to load/unload, and are much kinder to your BCD/BCD pockets.

Hard weights, depending on use of course, will eventually cause wear spots/holes, caused from contact abrasion.

Spend as much time as possible on buoyancy, the less ballast you use the better. take a buoyancy performance course.

Rose.

I would save the money for something else. Hard weights take up less space, last forever, and don't leach lead particles.

If your weights have any sharp edges that you are worried about tearing your pockets, just round them out with a hammer. Even a concrete sidewalk will do in a pinch. If you are still worried, maybe stuff them into an ankle-length sock.

For 16 years I have used ten pound solid weights in each of my (used, still working) BCD pockets. And 2 pound solid "bullet" weights in my "pouch" weight belt. No problems or tearing at all in 800+ dives. I will finally replace the BC with a new one for Christmas, but not because of pocket tears.

How much lead are you diving with?

If you already have the lead blocks and they work for you, then I don't see much of a point in buying the beanbag ones. The notion that the blocks will wear out the weight pockets doesn't strike me as all that likely -- and even if they do, a pair of replacement pockets probably runs about the same cost as a set of lead beanbags anyway. On the other hand, if you're a klutz like I am, you might like the feeling of dropping a beanbag on your foot instead of a lead block.

If you're already on the market to buy a bunch more lead, you might consider the third option of a rubber belt. Personally, I prefer it over integrated weight, and it's definitely way better than a plastic belt, because it's stretchy. MAKO Spearguns makes a good rubber belt for like $30 and their 2lb "pinch" weights make it easy to change the amount of weight you bring for different exposure gear.

The belt I use is leather with one side strong netting. I use suspenders made for diving. So I would drop my BC weights in an emergency rather than toil around to drop the belt. I think the only better setup may be the harness thing.
But Brett has a point about solid weights on the foot......

From a crew standpoint I HATE SOFT WEIGHTS!!!!!

They leak little BBs all over the deck

From a crew standpoint I HATE SOFT WEIGHTS!!!!!

They leak little BBs all over the deck
Ditto to that, and lead and an Aluminium boats [which I have] .:(
Dissimilar metals, not good at all.
Lead fishing sinkers are easy to find , but lead shot, not so.:rant:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom