Are Snorkels required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

While diving a few Wrecks in Ft Lauderdale this pack week, another instructor's student asked me why I did not have a snorkel. I explained to him that I am taking a lot of Tech classes and they are considered a entanglement hazard. His instructor chimed in that everyone should be wearing one at all times. I mentioned I had one rolled up in my pocket, and her response was it was not on my head.

So it left me wondering are there any Rules, Coast Guard or other governing entity that mandates that snorkels must be on?

Its been over 10 years since any boat captain mentioned that we needed snorkels in S. FL. I also no several instructors that do not even require students to purchase snorkels anymore.

Side note, after she told him about my O2 tank could only handle a max of 80% O2 and a few more bits, I decided it was best to stay far away from her student.

PADI's requirement is that you have a snorkel while under training, for most -- not all -- classes. "Have" not "wear." I am aware of no "rules" such as you mention. But I am aware of the misunderstandings some instructors have about snorkels, and about all things technical.

The other instructor is flat out wrong. There are no laws requiring snorkels to be worn anywhere in the US. A couple of local communities, notably Laguna Beach CA, do require that divers carry a snorkel, but it does not have to be worn.

Your gear is your choice and should be based on your training and the conditions of the dive.

The other instructor is flat out wrong. There are no laws requiring snorkels to be worn anywhere in the US. A couple of local communities, notably Laguna Beach CA, do require that divers carry a snorkel, but it does not have to be worn.

Your gear is your choice and should be based on your training and the conditions of the dive.

Wait what? There’s a snorkel law? Who enforces this, the scuba police?

I might just have to go down there to deliberately get a ticket so I can frame it and hang it on my wall!

His instructor chimed in that everyone should be wearing one at all times. I mentioned I had one rolled up in my pocket, and her response was it was not on my head.
You've encountered a butthole, that's all.

With tech training, it's entirely possible you are a better trained diver than that OW instructor. Her training focused on how to teach a non-diver the very most basic diving skills without killing them. Your training is (or SHOULD be) a lot more comprehensive.

Regardless of skill levels, telling another diver on the boat how to dive is inappropriate behavior. Fortunately it's pretty uncommon. I haven't used a snorkel in years. I dive an unusual backplate and wing with a long hose configuration. I can't remember ever having someone give me a hard time about my setup on a boat. Even touristy OW boats like the ones run by Rainbow Reef. I did have a couple RR DM's ask me a bunch about my setup once, but they seemed mainly interested in learning rather than chiding me about it.

Not that it matters, but using those rollup deals does kind of suck. Have you tried it? I switched to just keeping a fullsize snorkel in a pocket. Best of both worlds.

Were you doing an instructor led dive/certification? If you are a certified diver, diving on your own (hopefully with a buddy), the decision to have a snorkel and where to have it is up to you. If you weren't taking a class with this instructor, it's no business of hers whether or not you have a snorkel. She might as well tell you that you need to be wearing gear her shop sells.

SSI does require a snorkel for all training activities because it is part of the Total Diving System, but when I've gone diving with other instructors and no students, we don't usually have one with us unless the dive conditions would benefit from it.

I might just have to go down there to deliberately get a ticket so I can frame it and hang it on my wall!

That's actually a pretty awesome idea! Probably well worth the small fine.

Wait what? There’s a snorkel law? Who enforces this, the scuba police?

From Laguna Beach Diving Ordinances and Lifeguard/Diver Relations - California Diving News

The ordinance has been in place since 1962 and is enforced on a year ’round basis by the City of Laguna Beach lifeguards. Beyond enforcement of the diving ordinance and all of the other issues the city requires of the Marine Safety Department in managing the beaches. The full time lifeguard staff is empowered with citation powers given to them by the State of California Department of Fish and Game.

Over the years Laguna Beach lifeguards respond to 300 diver rescues, contact and interact with an additional 10,000 scuba divers and sadly respond to approximately three diving fatalities annually. There are less than five citations a year issued to divers for safety violations and approximately 10 Fish and Game citations are written. While the obvious primary effort of the Laguna Beach Lifeguards is public safety, rescue and enforcement, they are motivated to inform and educate, rather than respond with a citation. The Laguna Beach lifeguards go through an extensive scuba orientation program prior to each summer season. They are on the beaches to assist us and offer their support.

So, what do you need to know about diving Laguna Beaches? The original Skin and Scuba Diving ordinance was put in place in 1962 and was amended in 1988. The ordinance requires that each diver be equipped with, among other things, a snorkel, buoyancy compensator, and a diving partner.

They used to require that divers check in with a lifeguard. You had to show your snorkel, some sort of BC and a buddy. I don't know how they handle it since they dropped the check in requirement.

You know, I do wear a snorkel on my mask when shore diving. Use it every time I've done a salt water shore dive as well. I think it's appropriate for a shore dive as every shore dive I've done involves a decent swim to the reef. No sense wasting back gas on the swim to/fro. I generally remove it and put it in my pocket once at the reef. Having it on my mask is annoying.

Back
Top Bottom