Dive Curaçao Update: Coronavirus on Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Curaçao

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic is dynamic situation that is on all of our minds.

The health and safety of you, your family and your friends is of paramount concern.

With that in mind, please check back as we will do our best to keep you informed about the latest developments regarding travel and tourism on Curaçao.

CLICK HERE for the Latest Information

90284159_10159462194299908_4535229252596924416_o.jpg

Things have taken a serious turn for the worse with the COVID situation on CUR. Numbers way up. Island under lockdown. See from todays Curacao Chronicle

Premier Rhuggenaath announces new measures
MAIN | By Correspondent March 31, 2021

WILLEMSTAD - According to Prime Minister Eugene Rhuggenaath during the press conference today that this is a day of remarkable developments. “From the start, we wanted to avoid great pressure on medical care. The situation in the hospital has deteriorated in recent days and also today. More and more people are being admitted to hospital and more and more people are dying,” says the Premier.

The Premier also explains there are 16 intensive care areas. 14 beds have now been added. All beds are full. Locally and internationally, people have been called upon to assist the hospital. Rhuggenaath stresses that further action must now be taken.

The old hospital Sehos is now also on standby. The next few days are critical days for the Curaçao Medical Center (CMC). More healthcare workers need to come and help, says the Premier. “It is a serious situation. Unfortunately, there are still people who talk about conspiracy or that the government has a hidden agenda.” Rhuggenaath says there is only 1 agenda and that is saving human lives.

“Within the government, people also get sick, and someone's life has been taken away. Everyone suddenly calls themselves a nurse or reporter, but something serious is going on and that is that people keep dying and people still get sick.”

The British variant is much more contagious and much more dangerous than the earlier variant. The only solution to get rid of this is to vaccinate. The vaccination process is therefore being expanded further, says the Prime Minister.

The new measures that will apply as of today: The curfew starts at 7 p.m. The times for informal care will also be adjusted. All vital companies and institutions may remain open until 6 p.m. Truk di pan (BBQ stands) may be open between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.

“The exemptions will have to decrease. In the meantime, 30,000 applications have been submitted. The government will review the exemptions granted. We must stay calm and use our common sense. Stay at home! Keep your distance and take good care of each other. Colleagues should also be careful. Wash your hands and do not shake hands. We must have maximum discipline. Do not leave home. You only leave
home if you really need to.”

“Semana Santa, the holy week, will have to become a staycation. We cannot allow people to come together. There can be no activities where people can infect each other. The majority of the infections is due to the British variant.”

Rhuggenaath is aware that it is difficult. Mainly because of the cultural customs during this period. Young people are also included. “Stay at home as much as possible to save human lives.” Rhuggenaath says he no longer dares to look at the figures. We need to try harder, and he knows we can.

Young people are now also being victims. Especially people between 40 and 60 years old are now victims. Everyone is now noticing the effects of the virus. The government will announce more vital professions that can be vaccinated. The Netherlands ensures that there is enough vaccine, says the Prime Minister.

506 new COVID-19 cases; 2 more deaths
MAIN | By Curaçao government March 31, 2021

WILLEMSTAD - The epidemiology department reports that out of 1855 people who have been tested today for the COVID-19 virus, 506 of them were positive: a positivity rate of 27%. This brings the number of active infections to 3102. 53 active cases have recovered.

The situation at the Curaçao Medical Center (CMC): 104 people are now in the hospital. 32 of them are in the intensive care unit. This includes 1 person from Bonaire.

Unfortunately, 2 more have died making the total now 35 deaths.

Please stay safe!

3102_31.jpg

So sorry for the shutdown and the impact on the dive operators. We were on-island during the end of the election season. In Boca Sami (where we stayed), the Saturday before the election, there was a massive street party held by some of the political parties. Lots of people, lots of beer being consumed, no one wore a mask or social distanced. You just can't fix stupid.

So sorry for the shutdown and the impact on the dive operators. We were on-island during the end of the election season. In Boca Sami (where we stayed), the Saturday before the election, there was a massive street party held by some of the political parties. Lots of people, lots of beer being consumed, no one wore a mask or social distanced. You just can't fix stupid.

Sounds like many of our cities and states. You are certainly right about not being able to fix stupid.

And from today
Dutch holidaymakers on Curacao urged to return, as coronavirus cases mount
MAIN | By Correspondent April 2, 2021

WILLEMSTAD - Dutch nationals holidaying on Curacao, or working as interns there, are being urged to return to the Netherlands as quickly as possible because of the mounting coronavirus crisis on the Caribbean island.

The situation on the island is ‘very worrying’ and medical care cannot be guaranteed, the Dutch diplomatic mission on the island said in a post on Facebook. Hundreds of people have continued to travel to the islands for holidays, despite the government’s urging to stay at home.

Now, the number of infections on the highlight has soared – yesterday 431 people tested positive – and the island’s only hospital to treat coronavirus patients is full.

The Dutch authorities have urged people to contact their airline or travel organization to make plans for a return. The call to come back does not apply to people stationed on the island for a longer period, such as the army.

On Thursday, the foreign affairs ministry revised its travel advice for the island and Aruba to orange, meaning but all but essential travel should be avoided.

Travelers returning from the island must be tested for coronavirus before their departure and go into quarantine when they arrive back in the Netherlands.

Discouraging news. But, like at home in North America and elsewhere, all the best efforts to encourage people to act responsibly have failed miserably. I fear that we will probably be having the same conversation as we deal with the 5th wave later on in the year.....

But, like at home in North America and elsewhere, all the best efforts to encourage people to act responsibly have failed miserably
My experience here in CT is that most people are acting responsibly. I have also been fortunate enough to travel to VT and ME to ski and folks there seemed to be acting responsibly as well. Our numbers are down and are not nearly as high as some countries in Europe and elsewhere. Hopeful news is the vaccine is becoming more widely available although from what I read that may not be the case in Canada. In CT 43% of 16 and above have received at least their first dose.

Does anyone have new reports from Curacao? I have the April 7 update.

This is a worst case scenario—the hospitals are full.

My experience here in CT is that most people are acting responsibly.

Hi tkaelin,

I can concur here in Ohio. While our courts and legislature have repeatedly ruled that the governor needs to work with the legislature to enact his edicts, people follow the advisories anyways. We have lots of hospital capacity and C-19 cases in the hospitals are very low.

All of my neighbors and coworkers who have had C-19 have had fewer symptoms and a shorter duration of being symptomatic than I suffered from the vaccine. I am not saying I would have preferred C-19 over the vaccine, but they had an easy go of it. Two of my friends were VERY tired for two weeks.

Data proves that we need to protect the comorbid as this disease discriminates against unhealthy people. The number one comorbidity group is people who are on their way to obesity.

Curacao, please protect the comorbid. No island can hide from C-19, good luck and God Speed!

I need to cancel my reservations for June. I am totally daydreaming of Curacao. I want to dive the West End so badly. I got vaccinated for this trip (and for my step daughter—she has malignant neoplasms).

Even if Curacao allows me to come, I can't take the risk of having an accident and taking a hospital bed from someone who got C-19.

Exercise more than you ever have, get some sun, take vitamin and zinc supplements, and spend lots of time in the great outdoors. Lose the weight. I have lost 20 pounds because of C-19.

sincerely,
postponed again!

Back
Top Bottom