Do you drink the spring water while diving?

Have you ever purposefully drank spring water you were diving in?

• Yes

Votes: 37 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 48.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps there's a market for ludicrously expensive bottles of spring water hand-collected deep inside pristine caves by death-defying divers.

You gave me an idea and I bet I won't get a call from the FWC for that one.

All three of those wells had complicated filter systems.
Not all water in Florida is created equal. There are many contaminants, like sulfur, that make some wells almost undrinkable. The only problem I have with my well is a bit of calcium and iron content. I guess I actually have bottled mineral water on tap... and I love it. Other than the pickup screen and a sediment filter, I will not subject God's water to any additional filtration or softening. :D It does kind of piss me off when people drink bottled water while visiting me.
They need to GTFO of Ginnie in my opinion.
Wouldn't that be nice? Single-use plastic bottles are a blight on our society.

My iron-y, slightly sulphur-y, extra hard well water makes fantastic beer.

Well water quality also varies depending on the time of year. I'm surrounded by ag, and when the farms are pumping a lot, my water isn't as good.

I've taken sips when lake diving here at home but only in my own lake. I've grown up drinking this water straight through an unfiltered pump system so no worries there. Anywhere else, including the clearest of cenotes, I'd avoid it.

Yeah my well water is very sulfery. But we also have city water so we just use it for filling the pool and watering the lawn.

But in the cave, I will drink a little water when needed, typically after the first hour to deal with dry mouth or when things get a little too salivay.

I actually dislike spring water, tastes horrible when warm.

Wouldn't that be nice? Single-use plastic bottles are a blight on our society.

post consumer waste is a big issue across many industries. Believe it or not, many of the beverage manufacturers are leading in efforts towards recycling and minimizing primary and secondary packaging. I would challenge you all to take a close look at every area of your consumption and scrutinize your waste stream.

Are you easily swayed at the point of purchase by flashy packaging and overly boxed non-value ad fluff?

One of my neighbors has a really bad well water issue. He had tried filtration, and still had sulfer taste. I see him with water jugs, but also some bottled water based on convenience. Where would you suggest he get his water from?.

And aside from the bottle issue...

Are many of you aware that the process to brew beer wastes 5+ liters of water for every liter of beer produced? Have you cut back on your beer consumption, to help out in preserving our water supply?

post consumer waste is a big issue across many industries. Believe it or not, many of the beverage manufacturers are leading in efforts towards recycling and minimizing primary and secondary packaging. I would challenge you all to take a close look at every area of your consumption and scrutinize your waste stream.

Are you easily swayed at the point of purchase by flashy packaging and overly boxed non-value ad fluff?

One of my neighbors has a really bad well water issue. He had tried filtration, and still had sulfer taste. I see him with water jugs, but also some bottled water based on convenience. Where would you suggest he get his water from?.

And aside from the bottle issue...

Are many of you aware that the process to brew beer wastes 5+ liters of water for every liter of beer produced? Have you cut back on your beer consumption, to help out in preserving our water supply?
And I thought alchemy was dead.

Most people are. Ever seen an Apple iPhone box? The pièce de résistance of wasteful packaging.

I would challenge you all to take a close look at every area of your consumption and scrutinize your waste stream.
Moving to Suwannee County, Fl has had a number of challenges. I have to haul or burn all waste I generate. It has caused me to rethink my habits over and over. I probably generate less than 20% of what I used to and I'm still rethinking things. Unfortunately, not everything is in my hands. Grocery stores won't let me bring in my own bags anymore because of Covid. I will always choose a product with less packaging if I am able. While I do use pesticides around my 10.82 acres, it's limited and fertilizers and defoliants are banned. While we might water a few plants to help them get started, we choose native plants that don't require watering and we never, ever water the lawn.

Where would you suggest he get his water from?.
How deep is his well? Mine is 90 feet down to avoid all the surface crap. People make decisions all the time that impact their quality of life. I can only be responsible for the decisions I make. A friend bragged about how shallow his well was when I first moved here. He's right next to the river and it only goes down 30/40 feet. When the river floods, his water becomes brown, and once he was cut off from the road. Yeah, he has wonderful river vistas, but I have wonderful water and am not prone to suffer in case of a flood. Except, I can't dive right now because of it. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom