Got ripped off buying used BCD. Any way I can repair it myself.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inflate by mouth until it is really full. Put aside. Check to see if it deflates after 24 hours. If it's flat, you have a problem otherwise meaningless pin-hole that can be fixed with rubber cement.

Did you try contacting the seller to request a refund?

Since these BC's don't have an inner bladder, they are normallly made out of TPU coated Cordura that has the seams welded by either RF or ultrasound. In other words, your better half's iron would do the trick. Either you gonna need an iron with teflon (PTFE) coated bottom or just use a piece of thin teflon to weld it back together. Worst case scenario you can fix it from the outside by using Aquasure. It won't be pretty or an ideal solution, but at the end of the day you will have a working BCD. When I built my first rebreather I did a lot of experimenting with these types of material to make the counterlungs. I hope it helps..

Very Respectfully

Roland.

Reactions: OTF
I bought a used BCD from facebook, of course the guy said there were not leaks...I tested it out and there are two small leaks coming from the top left shoulder by the inflater. It looks like the bladder is welded and they tried to fix it once by sewing it. I should be able to get inside if I can get the inflater off. Anyway I can turn this negative into a positive. Please dont respond to, "you should have checked it before or dont buy used stuff...

Thanks

View attachment 651184
Switch the negative to positive: I can sell you a good one. One year old. Switched to a back inflate. Zeagle Mariner (small). Perfect condition and you can even test it out.

Since these BC's don't have an inner bladder, they are normallly made out of TPU coated Cordura that has the seams welded by either RF or ultrasound. In other words, your better half's iron would do the trick. Either you gonna need an iron with teflon (PTFE) coated bottom or just use a piece of thin teflon to weld it back together. Worst case scenario you can fix it from the outside by using Aquasure. It won't be pretty or an ideal solution, but at the end of the day you will have a working BCD. When I built my first rebreather I did a lot of experimenting with these types of material to make the counterlungs. I hope it helps..

Very Respectfully

Roland.
How hot do you go with the iron?

It depends on the iron mainly. I would start with the lowest setting and see if it welds it back together. if not raise the temp and repeat. Thermo-polyurethane has a melting point of around 145 Celsius, so the iron doesn't need to be too hot.

Roland

You are going to go after it with an iron and or aqua-seal without really understanding what the problem is - or if there is one? If a BC goes from hard to a little soft in 10 minutes via a few pinholes, this is not going to affect the functionality of the BC. You probably will never even notice it when diving.

If the leak is from cracked or failed fitting, or broken or failed springs, then a small leak can be a warning or a precursor to an impending catastrophic failure. If there is a little fizzing when the BC is pumped to capacity with respect to the over pressure relief system, I would not make a mess out of a perfectly good BC.

As suggested before by other forum members, inflate and let it sit for awhile. See if it deflates slowly at all. Also fill your bathtub and see where the leaks are if there are any.

Roland

As suggested before by other forum members, inflate and let it sit for awhile. See if it deflates slowly at all. Also fill your bathtub and see where the leaks are if there are any.
Must have done that already.

I can't see anything except factory stitching and bar tacks, seller probably doesn't even know about it

Back
Top Bottom