• Yes

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • No

Votes: 78 75.0%
  • What's CO?

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not in my tank. I would not dive any tank with greater than zero. The reading was consistent. When I got it, I tested all 12 of my tanks. One tank consistently scored 1ppm. The other 11 scored zero. It definitely had CO in it. You can dive 3ppm CO all day long if you like. I won't be doing that ever.

I have no problem with your rule.

I do. I've got a cootwo CO/O2 analyzer that does both. Unfortunately, the owner of the company was good at engineering but not business. A year or two ago and the company stopped making them. Fortunately, it uses commodity sensors so I can maintain my cootwo indefinitely.

I'd say the Cootwo is 'fair' in engineering. I'm on my 2nd (3rd, if you include a "firmware" upgrade done by sending it back to the manufacturer and they returned new hardware).

The sensors and battery can be replaced by anyone who's handy. Recalibrating the CO sensor requires reference gas, so it's a bit of a pain but not impossible.

I have detected CO in one of my tanks filled by a local shop in the US. It was only 1ppm. Shop cleaned my tanks, did whatever shops do to work on compressors, and apologized profusely.

1ppm? Isn't that within the range of (normal sensor error + drift as the sensor ages + atmospheric CO)?

I've seen 5PPM in Aruba -- but only on Nitrox fills, not the air tanks from Clive (Dive Aruba).

Never.
After multiple dives with an operator, 100s, and him having purchased a meter and deciding testing was to become his latest thing, I stormed off the boat!

I'm not understanding why. He added one more measure of safety and you objected to it? Or was this an additional task he doled out to each passenger?

Not in my tank. I would not dive any tank with greater than zero. The reading was consistent. When I got it, I tested all 12 of my tanks. One tank consistently scored 1ppm. The other 11 scored zero. It definitely had CO in it.

Ah, understood. Having that many tanks reading 0PPM makes the other tank suspect.

Given the Cootwo tolerance, that's a good decision.

I'd say the Cootwo is 'fair' in engineering. I'm on my 2nd (3rd, if you include a "firmware" upgrade done by sending it back to the manufacturer and they returned new hardware).

The sensors and battery can be replaced by anyone who's handy. Recalibrating the CO sensor requires reference gas, so it's a bit of a pain but not impossible.
I'm working on dumping firmware via manual interface to the EEPROM. Once I've got that done, I've got some service and update instructions I'm hoping to post on iFixit and maybe another site if I can find one that will host an EEPROM image.

Do you still have the broken one? I'd love to take it off your hands if you do.

I replied No ... Never have. I do know what CO is :rofl3:

What is the statistical probability someone would get a fill with elevated CO?

I don't own an analyzer, DAN is not the least bit concerned from the conversations I've had with them. I can't recall off the top of my head a CO scuba fatality.

So no, I don't test. But I'm basing this on Florida diving. In another country, with sketchy compressors, I might consider it.
Agree. An instructor showed a class (and me) how to simply use your cupped hand to see if the gas smelled funny. Of course CO has no smell, so that's irrelevant. I always get fills from known shops in Canada or U.S. Gunna take my chances and not spend the $400 on an analyzer when I could always observe the shop should I be getting Nitrox. Also not spending $700 on an O2 kit, as the shop owner suggested....

I chose yes but not every tank. I check the quality of the air my compressor is delivering once a year and make sure there is no CO source when I fill my tanks. So yes kinda, but no not every tank.

After 5 decades and thousands of LDS fills I never had any kind of issue including CO.

Every dive you live thru is a successful test.

Back
Top Bottom