I did not know this about oxygen...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Externet

Contributor
Reaction score
Extracted from a military compressor manual.
Number 4 is new for me. If someone can educate me, please do.

Oxy.png

If deserves to be posted somewhere else, please move.

Extracted from a military compressor manual.
Number 4 is new for me. If someone can educate me, please do.

If you don't know what you are starting with, you probably shouldn't just be randomly squirting in air (of unspecified pressure, unknown fill rate, and unknown cleanliness) and winging it.

Probably the majority of compressors are NOT used in diving applications at all. There are compressors associated with everything from ships to submarines, to aircraft and trucks. Generically, don't go adding air or anything else to a system unless you know what is already there and its actually supposed to get air.

Even a flamethrower compressor

What we have here is high pressure immediately

Your responses confuse me more. Light, please.
I’ll take a stab.

No doubt you know, fire requires three things: fuel, oxygen, and a heat source. When you’re dealing with pure oxygen, the oxygen part is taken care of — excessively. With such an abundance of oxygen, the idea of what constitutes fuel is substantially lowered. And by “substantially lowered” I mean that things you wouldn’t think of as being “fuel” suddenly are, like aluminum or iron, and certainly things like rubber o-rings or even the tiniest wisp of a petroleum based lubricant, no matter where or how it got there. As you can imagine, it is very difficult to deny oxygen what it considers fuel.

What that means is, you already have two of the three legs of the fire triangle in place. Lots and lots of oxygen, and a reasonable to high degree of likelihood of something that oxygen can use as fuel. At this point, you are only an ignition source away from an oxygen fire.

And again, with an abundance of oxygen, that ignition source can come from things that you would never, ever think could start a fire. Like opening or closing a valve too fast, or letting a different gas in suddenly and rapidly increasing the pressure. Immediately closing a valve can, just from stopping the momentum of the flowing gas, create a spot of heat *well* beyond the ignition point of lots of different fuels. Now, that temperature might only exist for the tiniest fraction of a second. But in the presence of all that oxygen, literally that is all it might take to cause ignition, and an out of control oxygen fire.

So our speculation on number four is that if you dumped unfiltered compressed air into a vessel with an existing amount of pure oxygen, you are dumping both hydrocarbons from the unfiltered air, as well as lots of pressure rapidly into a pure oxygen environment. You are therefore supplying all three legs of the fire triangle, and there is a greater than 0% chance it will ignite.

Anyway, that’s my guess.

Thanks, tmassey.
Yes, sounds reasonable... almost. I have a problem with quantification. For a droplet of fuel, a "wisp of a petroleum based lubricant" to create an explosion havoc, the military would be better designing their weapons using drops of lubricants with the formulated oxygen instead of the explosive method$ they use.

My point is that to create a destructive explosion the amount of fuel should be significant; not a milligram of hydrocarbons.

The oxygen equipment always states to never use oil. I will have to investigate what historic explosive events happened before the labeling against oils. No doubt of its reactivity and danger; but the way 'numeral 4' is written does not imply/relate to oils but to mixture of gases.:eek:
WE have been trying to see behind the scenes to guess what causes prompted numeral 4.

I have never been into diving with gases and mixtures other than atmospheric air; am ignorant of the subject so I ask if there is a situation when filling scuba tanks that collides with numeral 4 ?

I think you’re missing two points:

One, it’s a pressure vessel that contains high pressure. Even the tiniest explosion that compromises the pressure vessel can then use the energy in the compressed gas to complete the explosion. We’re not talking fragmentary hand grenade, but if you’re in the path of that tank when it goes flying across the room, the difference won’t matter to you.

Two, that tiny whisper of hydrocarbon might just be the start of the fire. Think of it as the fuse, or as kindling. Once a fire in easily-flammable hydrocarbons start in the presence of pure oxygen, It can very quickly move onto the next source of fuel. And like I said, with oxygen, things you don’t normally think of as fuel are. Like the aluminum walls of the pressure vessel. Or the carbon steel body of the valve. Or the hydrocarbon rubber O-rings. Or the rubber hose you attached to the tank.

And the final thing is this: I’m not trying to make it sound like there’s a high degree of likelihood that any of this will happen. As was mentioned in the Oxy Hacker’s Companion: if these events were likely, then a lot of welding shops would be blowing up all the time. But the fact is, these type of events can happen, and even if it only happens one in 1000 times, if it’s something you do with any kind of regularity, it will happen to you.

Hence the warning. With just a tiny bit of foresight and proper procedure, you can eliminate the danger.

And to answer your ending question: while dealing with compressed *air*, you don’t have to worry about fire. Remember, in warning number four, it specifically mentions a container of oxygen. In this case, it’s not using “oxygen“ in place of air like some ignorant reporter who says all of us scuba divers breathe “oxygen tanks“. They’re specifically talking about a cylinder of oxygen as well as a cylinder of air. If you don’t have pure oxygen, you don’t have the same circumstances, and the warning does not apply.

The question comes when someone hands you a cylinder to be filled. Do you know what’s inside of it? They might tell you what they think is inside of it, but numerous scuba divers have died because they swore up and down they knew what was inside their tank, but they were wrong. So without checking, you have no way of knowing what is inside that cylinder. And therefore, warning number four theoretically could apply.

That’s why, especially among technical divers, the rule is: every cylinder is analyzed every time and labeled right before you use it. (Generally, that same day.) Because we *do* have the possibility of pure oxygen cylinders laying around, and sometimes all those scuba cylinders can look exactly alike. And there are numerous ways that not knowing what is in your cylinder can kill you. Warning number four is just one of them! :)

ETA: And to emphasize, this is not necessarily a significant risk. It is a *serious* one, but not necessarily a significant one. Which is why you probably haven’t seen that warning before, and why it’s not splashed all over the place. It doesn’t make the warning any less accurate. It also might mean that the circumstances that led to that warning in that manual might be quite specific to that application, and can’t simply be extrapolated to any and all activity involving unknown compressed gas. Like, if the task was using a high volume and high pressure compressor to quickly fill containers, then yes, it would be smart to warn people that not all containers can be treated the same! Just because you can do it with a vessel partially filled with air does not mean you can do it with a vessel partially filled with oxygen — and that’s especially relevant because so many people think that air and oxygen are the same thing! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom