USS Johnston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does that mean they've been into the Challenger Deep trench which is over 1.5x deeper?
On their site it appears so

CHALLENGER DEEP – JAPANESE EXPEDITION
APRIL 2021
To wrap up our dives at the Challenger Deep in 2021, we will be diving with the first Japanese citizen to make the journey. We will continue to try and collect as many geological and biological samples as possible, and continue to survey the area to better understand its unique plate tectonics and microbiological life.

Interesting website! And this caught my eye... (and if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it):

FOR SALE: Hadal Exploration System is now available for purchase. The package comprises the Full Ocean Depth-rated submersible Limiting Factor; the support ship Pressure Drop, a Full Ocean Depth Kongsberg EM124 sonar, three Full Ocean Depth science landers, and ancillary support craft, equipment, and spares.

I find this and the Bismarck interesting because it seems that both hulls hit the bottom and slid almost a mile before stopping in their permanent resting place. It's almost as if their hulls acted as they would at the surface.

I find this and the Bismarck interesting because it seems that both hulls hit the bottom and slid almost a mile before stopping in their permanent resting place. It's almost as if their hulls acted as they would at the surface.
The topography of the bottom?

The topography of the bottom?

That plays a part in it, but most wrecks I have discovered or dove upon are with yards where they originally hit. And those that hit hard usually crumple and collapse and do not move. Having fallen a few MILES to the bottom might have something to do with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom