Dry suit recommendatiom Ireland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have DUI fixed their quality problems?

I had three DUI suits, one after the other, two membrane, and then a crushed neoprene. Loved them all.
However, a few years after I got my crushed neoprene, all the people I knew who bought DUI had terrible problems with them. I could have forgiven that, if they had put them right, but DUI kicked and screamed when asked to fix even the simplest fault.
Unfortunately very American, only interested in the bottom line and screw the reputation. That period really trashed their reputation for a lot of people (including the distributers). One of the reasons I probably wouldn't buy a Santi.

My current suit was a temporary suit. I couldn't bring myself to pay DUI for a suit that they wouldn't stand behind. So I bought my current suit whilst I considered what to do next. It's going on 6 years old.
I will probably by a O3 next, possibly an Otter. I have been very impressed by all the O3's I've seen, and they past. Also, there customer service is excellent. (As is Otter).
I do have to say Hammond are very good, being a family business they have excellent customer focus.

Gareth
Dear Gareth,
I am truly sorry to hear you had a bad experience with DUI back in the day. I believe DUI has addressed all of quality issues of the past and is striving everyday to ensure we do not repeat the same mistakes. We hope to earn back your trust
Tor Ericsson
tor@dui-online.com

Dear Gareth,
I am truly sorry to hear you had a bad experience with DUI back in the day. I believe DUI has addressed all of quality issues of the past and is striving everyday to ensure we do not repeat the same mistakes. We hope to earn back your trust
Tor Ericsson
tor@dui-online.com

I am glad that you have and I hope you continue to build on the awesome legacy DUI has. I was a DUI dealer in the 90's and early 2000's and was a loyal user too. I never had any issue with my suits, the rentals or customers' suits in all of these years as an active dealer with large DUI rental fleet, user and instructor.

As any Irish diver is probably aware we're very limited in what is available in terms of dive shops to try on suits.

I'm in the market for a new dry suit. I'm currently using a northern diver neoprene RBX II. Which has been brilliant but is reaching the point where I'll need to start putting money into it to keep the suit going.

What suits would any one recommend for use in Irish waters for primarily recreational use?

I'm open to Trilaminate suits or neoprene. Considerations being shipping to Ireland and price. Looking around €1500

I know a lot of military types are using oh three. Any insights?

Hey Alpha, greetings from an Irishman in the US.

I wanted to chime in on the Othree suits as I finally had a chance to dive my new 90/90. I found the suit to be fantastic in every way. It's a trilam, so your warmth will depend on your layering and undergarment selection (I may consider electric heat in the future). The PB base layer they sent me with the suit was sufficient for 40F waters in Ohio, although I was slightly cold near the end. They have two versions of the PB layering system and I have the lower warmth version. Definitely need more layers or the higher warmth version for less than 45F. The suit itself is front entry, telescoping, light, dries quickly, has Kubi dry gloves ready to go, easy to replace neck and wrist seals and it looks super cool. Mine was slightly altered at the factory to fit me and the fit is great. I still have room for more undergarments if needed. For its price point and the accessories it comes with, I cannot recommend this suit enough! I had previous experience diving an Aqualung Fusion with both the drycore and newer aircore and I felt very restricted. My drycore version actually leaked after the first year I owned it (bought it used though). The 90/90 is a premium upgrade in my opinion and I love it. I think once I fine tune my layering and possibly add electric heat, I can dive longer in the suit. But that's the beauty with the trilam- you can add and remove layers and dive the suit year round.

Hope this helps!

Scuba Dive West in Connemara sell Othree. I've bought off them before and they're great suits. It's a bit of a drive up but well worth it and they have a house reef outside the front door where you can try the suit out.

I am truly sorry to hear you had a bad experience with DUI back in the day. I believe DUI has addressed all of quality issues of the past and is striving everyday to ensure we do not repeat the same mistakes

My first drysuit was DUI and it practically leaked from Day 1

Still on my second suit and had to replace the Apeks dump valve this year after about 200+ dives due to a wet left arm during the past month.

The proprietary seals on DUI suits are a rip off, sorry to say, way overpriced compared to SiTek or Kubi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom