Netflix SeaSpiracy - Scuba Instructor Reaction, Review & Commentary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So true...only after this vid I saw the cowspiracy vid is available on NetFlix...I was thinking "oh, sh#t...I won't be able to eat anyting!

The similar names were too coincidental and I looked it up. The same guy made them both

I haven't watched it yet, despite having a couple opportunities because I feared it would be sensationalism, get debunked in articles and then get labelled as fake. Which is unfortunate because if you lie, even just grossly embellish reality, it ruins the efforts to advance the changes we really need.

That take is from what I'm reading from you guys, but if it's a push to be a vegan, and it sounds like there's a few other people who get website space to voice that opinion on other platforms, I think it's worth noting there's strong evidence that human evolution really began to take off when our species started cooking meat. I have no problem with vegans, but they are a very small minority and if your approach to sustainability is to tell everyone eating meat is wrong, you're gonna have a long road ahead of you and are actually doing more harm than good.

Invention of cooking drove evolution of the human species, new book argues

“You are what you eat.” Can these pithy words explain the evolution of the human species?

Yes, says Richard Wrangham of Harvard University, who argues in a new book that the invention of cooking — even more than agriculture, the eating of meat, or the advent of tools — is what led to the rise of humanity.

Wrangham’s book “Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human” is published today by Basic Books. In it, he makes the case that the ability to harness fire and cook food allowed the brain to grow and the digestive tract to shrink, giving rise to our ancestor Homo erectus some 1.8 million years ago.​
Exactly, and unfortunately the vegans who appear in media and social platforms like this tend to be the type to say "if you aren't vegan in the way I want you to be, nothing you do matters." Every vegan I've actually met understands it's a personal choice and openly condemn the ones who try and force people to veganism.

Yes, choosing sustainable food options helps, and yes, the broad livestock and commercial fishing industries are harmful and need tons of overhaul. But veganism is not, cannot, and will never be the only option. Beyond the scientific inaccuracies and sensationalism, my greatest concern with this film is how much his commentary belittled and cast off other initiatives as worthless, and the number of people who might watch it and listen.

It is definitely not a must watch

Its another vegan activist production with absolutely no balance and no solutions or answers. There is unheralded scientists and business minded people around the world trying to come up with working solutions to net technology to reduce bycatch, to innovative aquaculture solutions and to the use of technology to asses and protect fish stocks and marine habitats. Are any of these people given a chance to speak in these 'documentaries'. Obviously not, because their solutions involve hard work and too much complexity and thinking on the part of the pampered middle class that are the target audience.
The other thing that really pisses me off is the constant slamming of aquaculture as a horror show of environmental degradation. All aquaculture in their mind is associated with commercial salmon farms missing the fact that aquaculture involves Mussels. Oysters, Seaweed farming etc. Some of these e.g. Mussel farming are actually hugely beneficial to the marine ecosystem and are carbon positive along with supplying clean healthy protein.

Mussel farming are actually hugely beneficial to the marine ecosystem
In theory yes. But remember in theory even (small scale) fishing can be if not beneficial at least neutral for the sustainability of the ecosystem as it has been for milenia.

In practice though companies look for profit. Commercial means optimized production and quite easily during "optimization" things can go sideways especially in countries where appropriate laws don't exist or are not enforced adequately.

I've seen UW images from mussel farms here in Greece (pictures were taken illegally because diving near sea farms is illegal here) and believe me the ecosystem around them was far from being healthy. Imagine what happens in less developed countries where eg the millions and millions of frozen shrimps we can buy in supermarkets are farmed.

In theory yes. But remember in theory even (small scale) fishing can be if not beneficial at least neutral for the sustainability of the ecosystem as it has been for milenia.

In practice though companies look for profit. Commercial means optimized production and quite easily during "optimization" things can go sideways especially in countries where appropriate laws don't exist or are not enforced adequately.

I've seen UW images from mussel farms here in Greece (pictures were taken illegally because diving near sea farms is illegal here) and believe me the ecosystem around them was far from being healthy. Imagine what happens in less developed countries where eg the millions and millions of frozen shrimps we can buy in supermarkets are farmed.

You are absolutely right about the potential for profit driven commercial enterprises doing huge damage. But they can't all be lumped together and summed up by saying 'Don't eat fish' and 'Aquaculture is bad'. Shrimp farms have been a disaster for mangrove ecosystems and in the past Salmon farms have also been hugely polluting but compared to farming on the land it is very new and lessons are being learned from the mistakes of the past.

Regarding the mussel farms, I'm genuinely interested to know how the surrounding ecosystem was damaged from the footage you saw? I'm asking from some experience as I work on mussel and oyster farms and also dive around them for work and the surrounding habitat is thriving.

Veganism leads to massive kidney stones. Seafood farms need improvements, but really are the future.
Maybe the next film will be Car-spiracy-“ End the Roadkills by eliminating cars and trucks and use only bikes pulling wagons! “

Regarding the mussel farms, I'm genuinely interested to know how the surrounding ecosystem was damaged from the footage you saw? I'm asking from some experience as I work on mussel and oyster farms and also dive around them for work and the surrounding habitat is thriving.

I searched for the pictures but couldn't find them. It was a facebook post few weeks ago but can't remember in which group I saw it. Basically the bottom and the nearby shores were full of garbage from items used in the farm: pipes, barrels, ropes, some kind of nets used for the mussels to grow on them etc.

Also the bottom looked like a muck "desert". For this, to be honest, I am not 100% sure that the bottom became like this because of the farm or the bottom was like this before and they've chosen this place because mussels need such environment.

To be clear, I do eat fish and seafood but I prefer farmed ones as I think they are the least harmful choice for the environment. I have seen several ecosystems eg here in Greece, Red Sea and Indonesia (outside protected areas) that once were full of marine life and now are almost empty due to over fishing.

BTW last time I bought "wild" fish was few years ago. I think it was cod and once I arrived home to cook it I discovered that its' belly was full of eggs!!! Since then I decided I won't buy "wild" fish any more.

Veganism leads to massive kidney stones. Seafood farms need improvements, but really are the future.
Maybe the next film will be Car-spiracy-“ End the Roadkills by eliminating cars and trucks and use only bikes pulling wagons! “
Have you not met any of the “bike lane” crowd? They would absolutely make that and think it was a great idea.

The similar names were too coincidental and I looked it up. The same guy made them both

Exactly, and unfortunately the vegans who appear in media and social platforms like this tend to be the type to say "if you aren't vegan in the way I want you to be, nothing you do matters." Every vegan I've actually met understands it's a personal choice and openly condemn the ones who try and force people to veganism.

Yes, choosing sustainable food options helps, and yes, the broad livestock and commercial fishing industries are harmful and need tons of overhaul. But veganism is not, cannot, and will never be the only option. Beyond the scientific inaccuracies and sensationalism, my greatest concern with this film is how much his commentary belittled and cast off other initiatives as worthless, and the number of people who might watch it and listen.

It is definitely not a must watch

I recall reading an article, maybe two or so years ago, about a sustainable aquaculture co-op being developed in Maine. It was pretty interesting. Instead of a monoculture they use a system of raising several different types of seafood in a given area, much like the symbiotic relationship that exists in nature. So it's using kelp, various bivalves, fish, etc, all the way down the water column. Apparently, if done properly, it can be rather cost effective because the inputs are so low. Also, because the inputs are low, it has little environmental impact.

The problem, of course, is scaling up so that this method of aquaculture becomes the dominant way seafood protein is raised, rather than the devastating death trawlers that scrape wide swaths of the ocean floor and toss away any "bi-catch" that they don't think is commercially viable.

FWIW, my wife and I switched to a mostly plant-based diet about eight months ago. We are not the zealous vegan types, and we never tell other people how to eat. We do on rare occasion eat fish, eggs, and dairy. We weren't really big beef or pork eaters before, but did eat chicken. Because we didn't eat all that much animal protein overall, the change wasn't really that difficult. I would encourage anyone on the fence to take a few baby steps towards plant-based eating. Unlike the zealots, I don't think people need to go full-on vegan; just cutting back a bit on the animal products is great for heath and for the environment. And, if you stay away from the over-processed vegan meat substitutes (which really aren't that healthy anyway), it's been our experience that it's cheaper. Meat is expensive these days! As an added bonus, we save all of our veggie scraps in a freezer bag and when it's full I boil up a big pot of veggie stock and toss it into quart freezer containers. Perfect for soups, stews, sauces, etc.

I recall reading an article, maybe two or so years ago, about a sustainable aquaculture co-op being developed in Maine. It was pretty interesting. Instead of a monoculture they use a system of raising several different types of seafood in a given area, much like the symbiotic relationship that exists in nature. So it's using kelp, various bivalves, fish, etc, all the way down the water column. Apparently, if done properly, it can be rather cost effective because the inputs are so low. Also, because the inputs are low, it has little environmental impact.

The problem, of course, is scaling up so that this method of aquaculture becomes the dominant way seafood protein is raised, rather than the devastating death trawlers that scrape wide swaths of the ocean floor and toss away any "bi-catch" that they don't think is commercially viable.

FWIW, my wife and I switched to a mostly plant-based diet about eight months ago. We are not the zealous vegan types, and we never tell other people how to eat. We do on rare occasion eat fish, eggs, and dairy. We weren't really big beef or pork eaters before, but did eat chicken. Because we didn't eat all that much animal protein overall, the change wasn't really that difficult. I would encourage anyone on the fence to take a few baby steps towards plant-based eating. Unlike the zealots, I don't think people need to go full-on vegan; just cutting back a bit on the animal products is great for heath and for the environment. And, if you stay away from the over-processed vegan meat substitutes (which really aren't that healthy anyway), it's been our experience that it's cheaper. Meat is expensive these days! As an added bonus, we save all of our veggie scraps in a freezer bag and when it's full I boil up a big pot of veggie stock and toss it into quart freezer containers. Perfect for soups, stews, sauces, etc.

The frustrating thing is mostly people who think because THEY can do it, anyone can, no matter what. I had a friend who dearly wanted to be vegetarian for religious reasons, but she had GI issues so many of the normal vegetarian protein sources like nuts and legumes Did Not Agree with her, so she ultimately had to add chicken back in because between the GI issues and the cost of the few things she *could* eat as vegetarian protein sources, she just wasn’t getting proper nutrition without it. She got a lot of hassle from other vegetarians because they were CONVINCED there was some easy solution she wasn’t using, even though when pressed they also couldn’t think of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom