Ad's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Screenshot_20210404-212453_Samsung Internet.jpg

If @The Chairman doesn’t immediately know why this is happening, and from his reply above it seems that he doesn’t, it’s probably something that his ad supplying network decided to change, very likely without his knowledge. I’m getting them as well. I am way, way too lazy to dig into minified JavaScript, but most likely the ad content network has gotten clever. (And this type of “innovation” by ad providers happens all the time.)

At least, I’ll give Pete the benefit of the doubt… :)

But I am with everybody else: I don’t use an ad blocker, but those type of pop-ups are enough to get me to find one, or to greatly lessen my use of SB. But something tells me Pete already understands all of that.

As advertisements go, I think scuba board is way on the less annoying side. Like others have mentioned, there could be room for more and more effective ads, if that actually brought value to the board. I too am willing to scroll past an in-thread ad or two — if that would actually bring in actual money. But not new-millennium pop ups. I’ve walked away from many a site that gives me more than one of them in a session. I’ve already gotten a half a dozen from scuba board....

ETA: updated my reply to make it clear that I saw @The Chairman ‘s post above...

If @The Chairman doesn’t immediately know about this, and it seems that he doesn’t, it’s probably something that his ad supplying network decided to change. I’m getting them as well. I am way, way too lazy to dig into minified JavaScript, but most likely the ad content network has gotten clever.

But I am with everybody else: I don’t use an ad blocker, but those type of pop-ups are enough to get me to find one, or to greatly lessen my use of SB. But something tells me Pete already understands all of that.

As advertisements go, I think scuba board is way on the less annoying side. Like others have mentioned, there could be room for more and more effective ads, if that actually brought value to the board. I too am willing to scroll past an in-thread ad or two — if that would actually bring in actual money. But not new-millennium pop ups. I’ve walked away from many a site that gives me more than one of them in a session. I’ve already gotten a half a dozen from scuba board....

Pete posted he's trying to figure it out.

Pete is spending lots of monies to make this problem go away.

Thanks, I never knew the name for these annoying buggers: Wikipedia: Interstitial webpage
Yeah, once popup blocking became default and flash went away spammers moved to HTML5 Interstitials. So much for one of the more touted virtues of HTML5.

As a scubaboard supporter and user of uBlock, I don't get these ads. uBlock is important, though. Even with the disable advertising feature offered to supporters, my blocker catches 4 (or more) on every SB page.

I am way, way too lazy to dig into minified JavaScript, but most likely the ad content network has gotten clever. (And this type of “innovation” by ad providers happens all the time.)

At least, I’ll give Pete the benefit of the doubt…
I agree, not Pete's fault. Probably some advertiser managed to slip something in that violates Google's advertising policy. Pete and his users are the victims.

Pete is spending lots of monies to make this problem go away.

I would hope the responsible party is paying Pete lots of monies for creating it to begin with.

I would hope the responsible party is paying Pete lots of monies for creating it to begin with.
The responsible party may be a bot in Lithuania.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom