Where Do You Keep Your Spare Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I”ve read through this thread, and can say that I’ve only lost my mask once, and that was when I was rolled (with my buddy) by a 20 foot (about 6 meter) wave off the Oregon coast. But that was the least of our problems, and we waited outside the surf zone, and were picked up by the U.S. Coast Guard about 3 hours later. We had no backup masks, but since we were on the surface, that was no problem.

I used a backup mask only under one circumstance, and that was when I was using a full-face mask with my double hose regulator. I carried a second mask on my upper arm (left, I think) with the strap around my arm. While I never had to use it, that was simple and worked at a time when our wet suits had no pockets (mine still doesn’t).

I am rather concerned about some of the newer masks. They have a plastic, rather than stainless steel, pin in the strap keeper, and I’ve seen several of these break. If you look at the older, oval masks, they always had a stainless steel strap keeper. Now, these are made of plastic, and subject (for some) to breakage. My current “go to” mask is a TUSA, which seems not to have a plastic pin (it’s hard to see as I have a SeawiscopeEY on top of it).

The 5 photos below show the evolution of dive masks. The first is a White Stag oval mask, which is over 50 years old and still functional. Note the stainless steel strap keeper. The second is a much more recent Scubapro 3-window mask, with a plastic strap keeper, but note that the pins actually holding the strap are stainless steel. The third photo shows a completely plastic strap keeper. The fourth photo shows a mask where this plastic strap keeper has broken. I added the TUSA mask I use all the time, photo #5, and it does have a stainless steel pin holding the strap.

The U.S. Navy constantly in their Underwater Swimmers School stated that the only place for a mask was on your face, not your forehead. So if my mask is on, it’s usually on my face. (In the U.S.S., if one of us had our mask on our forehead, “Mike Nelson style,” he would need to give 25 pushups to the instructor, and carry a “buddy line” with him the rest of the day—it’s a 3-inch thick rope about 6 feet long, and we would have to sleep with it too).

SeaRat

PS, I collect dive masks. :wink:

Attachments

• 2918905D-D682-4FC4-A5C1-F53FB681CE2C.jpeg
    2918905D-D682-4FC4-A5C1-F53FB681CE2C.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 1EEC8463-90B1-44F3-AD81-BB5D03B0FF56.jpeg
    1EEC8463-90B1-44F3-AD81-BB5D03B0FF56.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 90
  • C12ABE23-824A-4CD9-BAEC-A965A466EFC6.jpeg
    C12ABE23-824A-4CD9-BAEC-A965A466EFC6.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 93
  • B3F21253-5600-419E-822A-6A8BFCE8C7F1.jpeg
    B3F21253-5600-419E-822A-6A8BFCE8C7F1.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 91522924-C07E-4216-A656-03125EC26936.jpeg
    91522924-C07E-4216-A656-03125EC26936.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 93
Diving a BP/W with one pocket just big enough to hold my SMB and Reel.
If not in a pocket, where do you all stow your spare mask? So far, I haven't been taking one on dives but I feel like I should. Just don't have a good place to keep it!

A spare mask is more critical in arctic waters,
and one would stow it in a dry suit pocket or in a "sidemount pouch".

A two inch chest strap is not a completely bad idea! I've used one.

Why do you need a spare mask? I have done almost 4,500 dives and have never needed one. Nor have I ever dived with someone who needed one or met someone who had to use a second mask.

This is very much environtment related!
Once freezing water covers your eyes, you WILL know why a spare mask is so great.

Now this is imagination!

full.jpg

Magnificent!

Maybe a bit flower powery lysergic but I like it

In my truck. Never took a spare on a dive.

One thing about diving in extremely cold water concerning the mask; it is much more comfortable with a high volume mask, such as a three-window or oval mask.

SeaRat

Low profile in my left thigh pocket.. Don't even know it's there.

Back
Top Bottom