Ear equalization tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ekiledjian

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all

I have 10 dives and equalizing my ears still takes me a lot of time. Sometimes I have to go back up equalize and come down. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries per level to get it right. Any tips or tricks?

Thanks

Start the minute your ears go underwater. By the time you are first starting to notice discomfort, the pressure has already built significantly. If you can get this months Dive Training magazine, it has a great article in it about the ears and equalizing. If you can't let me know and I will scan it and email it to you (on Monday).

search->advanced search

Enter "equalization" restrict the search to titles only and bingo! 14 hits that will probably answer all your questions.

Please always use the search function before starting a new note.

Roak

I too had problems equalizing when I first started diving. Even now, some dives I can equalize easily, while other dives it takes a bit more effort.

Do the search as mentioned above. Many of those threads have a link to a video about equalizing. Watch it a couple times. It helps a lot.

Here are some tips that others gave me along the way...

--Start equalizing on your way to the dive site.
--Equalize before you break the surface.
--I equalize on every exhale for the first 30 feet (inhale, equalize, exhale). After that only as needed.
--Don't look down (i.e. don't bring your chin to your chest). If need be look up and equalize.
--While looknig up tilt head to one side and equalize (this stretches out the est. tube on the side away from the tilt). Repeat for the other side.
--Wiggle jaw while trying to equalize.
--Thrust out your jaw while equalizing (when the moons around Saturn are pefectly aligned, I can do just this to equalize, without having to pinch-and-blow).
--Remember that it is not a race to the bottom. Take your time.

If all else fails. Go see an ENT (ears, nose throat doctor). I did, and his comments and diagnosis cleared everything up for me.

What ^^^ said, and dive more.........it's get's easier.

Ann Marie:
Start the minute your ears go underwater. By the time you are first starting to notice discomfort, the pressure has already built significantly. If you can get this months Dive Training magazine, it has a great article in it about the ears and equalizing. If you can't let me know and I will scan it and email it to you (on Monday).

I can't get that.. Please email it to ekiledjian at hotmail dot com.

Thanks a million

I see you are in Canada in the cold waters,,,,,I have been diving in what you yanks would refer to as cool water (51f),,,,,, but with full hood and cold water....I have found it more diffcult to clear my ears. Practice and patients.

ekiledjian:
Hello all

I have 10 dives and equalizing my ears still takes me a lot of time. Sometimes I have to go back up equalize and come down. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries per level to get it right. Any tips or tricks?

Thanks
I had a tough time equalizing for awhile too. like everyone else said, start as soon as you get in the water. something else I had problems with is changing depths alot. For instance going to fourty feet, then to twenty, then back to thirty...etc...So, I tried to stay at an even level for awhile and that seemed to help, so now I have no problems.

fldiverfreak:
I had a tough time equalizing for awhile too. like everyone else said, start as soon as you get in the water. something else I had problems with is changing depths alot. For instance going to fourty feet, then to twenty, then back to thirty...etc...So, I tried to stay at an even level for awhile and that seemed to help, so now I have no problems.

A few months ago I posted on the ability to "continually" equalize. Basically, with practice, you can be able to hold your tubes open, without ever having to think about it. When I dive, the last thing I've ever thought about is equalizing.

I've tried to consider an exercise to teach it:
With mouth closed, breath in through nose, and then yawn (while keeping mouth closed).

Your tubes should open with the yawn. Now simply try to hold them open when you're done yawning. Once you realize the muscles required to do this, you can do it without thinking, for any length of time (i.e. the length of your dive).

- ColdWaters

I have the same problem and I have almost 200 dives... last week I was at the olympic stadium for a dive in the pool and It took me about 5 minutes to go at the deepest level (about 48 feet). The most common tchnique (valsalva) doesn't work with me, so I try to chew. I just move my jaw and it helps... Also, when I'm in the middle of the season it becomes easier...
Just tell your buddy you have problem equalizing and if he/she's a good buddy he will wait for you... that was the reason I bought a computer, to get credited for that time I spend descending... and try different ways, you will finally get your way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom