Setting the stage for our third annual cleanup with a video showing an area that really needs it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Saturday's dive in Lake Superior was pleasant enough, even considering the cool 36 degree water. I put a video together designed to catch peoples attention and create a little support for our cleanup in August. Let me know how I did. You may be surprised at the sh@t in our harbor.

If that's the worse part of the harbor, I think you'd have a heart attack here in the St. Clair River.

If that's the worse part of the harbor, I think you'd have a heart attack here in the St. Clair River.
I probably would. You're down in Detroit?

20 miles north. However our department will occasionally work with Wayne County (Detroit) and we will get into some really nasty stuff. We are trained to stay away from 55 gallon drums!

Ours is a small harbor and I can point out all three of the empty 55 gallon drums to you if you like. I'm sure yours is a different situation. I'd be very interested in seeing some of the things you find down there. I understand diving is forbidden in Detroit. I can't imagine why.

Ours is a small harbor and I can point out all three of the empty 55 gallon drums to you if you like. I'm sure yours is a different situation. I'd be very interested in seeing some of the things you find down there. I understand diving is forbidden in Detroit. I can't imagine why.

The Detroit River is complicated. Three things to go by,

1.Don't dive within the city of Detroit (Ecorse, Trenton, Wyandotte, Windsor, Essex).

2. Get clearance by the Belle Isle Harbor Master if you want to dive in city limits

3. OR you can legally dive IF the water does not touch your skin in any way.

Expect terrible visibility (nothing like the St. Clair River), zebra mussels, and nasty nasty chemicals and bacteria in the summer. There is so much historical stuff in that River and you can't even safely dig for it. My Sargeant and I did a dive near the RenCen, and I was looking for a Gatling gun that fell off the USS Wolverine and he was just there to screw around. Lost sight of him 2 minutes in and 30 minutes later he had $75,000 silver set that belonged to a British General, and I found a skateboard... A fortune can be made there if you know where to look.

The Detroit River is complicated. Three things to go by,

1.Don't dive within the city of Detroit (Ecorse, Trenton, Wyandotte, Windsor, Essex).
if you know where to look.

Very cool. But too complicated ATM. I'm more apt to dive up river. I like finding historical things but contaminated water doesn't sound like something I'd get into. Knowing my luck, I'd also find a skateboard. Or a rotten bike. I find a lot of them up here.

Cool info, though. Tanks for sharing that.

Sign me up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom