Musical instruments, who plays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Play piano still. Used to play sax and oboe back in high school(Senior Year all 4 bands: Jazz, Concert, Symphonic, and Orchestra) and played in the Jazz and Concert band a few quarters in college. Still have my alto sax, but its gathered dust for quite a few years.

Trombone. just with a community band now and occasionally sit in with a little dance/swing band. played with a bar band for a few years. Horns in a rock band are pretty rare around here, so being able to play music nobody else could (Chicago, BS&T) was a draw. lots of fun. I still run sound for a buddy's band. gets me out of the house a couple times a month.

When I was 8 years old music lessons were offered at my elementary school. At that time I was very fond of Louis Armstrong, Al Hirt, and Herb Alpert, trumpet players all, and I’d yet to even hear of Bix, Miles, or Dizzy. So of course I wanted to learn to play the trumpet. The teacher gave me a quick musical assessment and while he determined that I had a fairly decent grasp of pitch. time, and melody, my crooked teeth did not make me a promising candidate as a fledgling brass player. He offered to teach me to play the bass, much to the delight of our neighbors. (A four foot kid can’t make much noise with a 6 foot bass, especially compared to the sequels and squeaks that he or she can wrangle from a horn). Thus began my sojourn into the world of the bass clef.

I switched to electric bass in my middle teens. Much easier to transport, and more appealing to members of the opposite sex, especially the foolish young girls who could snap their chewing gum, and wear just the right amount of too much blue eye-shadow.

I made an honest assessment of my skills and potential, and realized that no matter how diligently I practiced, I lacked the natural talent, poise, and imagination to ever become more than a marginally adept musician. I played in a mixed bag of high school rock bands, did some casuals & club dates, backed cabaret singers, and played on some recordings that nobody other than my mother ever listened to. I loved music more than it would love me.

I did however seem to have the knack for building and repairing stringed instruments, and enjoyed doing so for quite a few years as a professional luthier in NYC. I had the opportunity to work for a vast array of musicians, listen to their playing, and enjoy the music they made. I will occasionally play bass or guitar a bit just to amuse myself, and have on occasion listened to recordings of music that I made almost a half century ago. I’d be more than happy to pay for one of the instruments that I made, but would not spend much money to hear myself play.

At this point in my life, I maintain an honored place in the musical hierarchy; I am still an ardent and appreciative listener.

The attached image is a composite of photos of some of the instruments that I built in the early 1980’s.
GuitarCompCard.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom