Pony bottle harness/side mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! That’s the one. I’ve never purchased from dive gear express. Do they have pretty good prices?

Yup, as others have stated.... Good prices, great service.

If you are using it for rented cylinders where you are putting int on and off each day/trip, then The Dive Rite travel version (Dive Rite Travel/Sidemount Stage Strap) might be an easier (if more expensive) solution. It uses a small cam-strap instead of the worm-drive clamp.
Good advice. Yes, it will be traveled with me, for rental tanks mostly. I see that comes in small and large. I wonder if the small would fit a 19cf well?

Good advice. Yes, it will be traveled with me, for rental tanks mostly. I see that comes in small and large. I wonder if the small would fit a 19cf well?

Reading the specs it will work only for 5.25" AL19s which are the Catalina's. The Metal Impact AL19s are 4.38" in diameter and would to too small to fit the Dive Rite travel stage strap. So it depends upon which AL19 the taller and narrower (Metal Impact) or the shorter and squatier (Catalina).

Reading the specs it will work only for 5.25" AL19s which are the Catalina's. The Metal Impact AL19s are 4.38" in diameter and would to too small to fit the Dive Rite travel stage strap. So it depends upon which AL19 the taller and narrower (Metal Impact) or the shorter and squatier (Catalina).
Thanks Jim!

Sorry,
Digging a little deeper, it looks like the cam-strap is probably good for everything: Dive Rite Tank Strap, Narrow w/Low Profile Cam Buckle
unless they trim the "small" kits in advance.
The strap is not sewn to the buckle, but attached with a belt slide which allows the strap length to be trimmed to a perfect fit. The { 36 in | 91.4 cm } length can be adjusted to fit the smallest diameter pony as well as standard diameter tanks.

My guess was the elastic retainer bands are a bit too large for the <5" dia. cylinders, however: Dive Rite Hose Retainer, Deluxe
Small size fits cylinders 5.5-inch down to 4-inch diameter, large size fits 6.9-inch thru 8-inch diameter cylinders.

Call Dive Rite or DGX to confirm but it looks like it should work from the component descriptions.

And the shorter AL19 may be too short to work well with this. [Question, are AL19s rented???? I'd figure AL30s and 40s would be more common. I brought my own rigged 19 in checked baggage, so what do I know.]

@jf3193 you could just add the Dive Rite 1.5" cam-strap to your choice of strap kit in place of the SS band clamp to produce your own quick attach/release version and save a few bucks.

Sorry,

Digging a little deeper, it looks like the cam-strap is probably good for everything: Dive Rite Tank Strap, Narrow w/Low Profile Cam Buckle

My guess was the elastic retainer bands are a bit too large for the <5" dia. cylinders, however: Dive Rite Hose Retainer, Deluxe

Call Dive Rite or DGX to confirm but it looks like it should work from the component descriptions.

And the shorter AL19 may be too short to work well with this. [Question, are AL19s rented???? I'd figure AL30s and 40s would be more common. I brought my own rigged 19 in checked baggage, so what do I know.]

@jf3193 you could just add the Dive Rite 1.5" cam-strap to your choice of strap kit in place of the SS band clamp to produce your own quick attach/release version and save a few bucks.
Sorry,

That sounds like a great option. Thanks!!!

You can always make your own, and have a SS cam strap (hose clamp) to fit the skinnier tank.

I have them on 19, 30 & 40. Simple paracord, maybe some tubing (handle and cover the gear on the cam strap), couple bolt snaps, and a SS cam strap of proper diameter...

YMMV

Just make your own for a couple of bucks. Slightly loosening and tightening one SS circular-clamp is really quick and easy (if you are renting). You don't "need" more "quick-release" clunk.

@hedonist222 - There are some who feel a back mounted pony is not a good idea as it is not visible for leaks.

I understand this.
But I run a short SPG over my left shoulder and under the inflator hose.
I check spare cylinder pressure every time I check primary tank pressure (every ten minutes or so).

So if there was a leak, I'd catch it in time to abort my dive.

Is my reasoning apt?

Back
Top Bottom