What are things you wish you could tell your past self (SCUBA RELATED)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a $5 magnifying glass and torch if you like macro/muck

I shouldn't have stopped diving for about ten years (many but ultimately insubstantial reasons)

Would've started solo diving much earlier on

One thing: Why the hxxx didn't you start 15 years earlier!?

15 years before I took the certification course, it was apparently much harder, more physically demanding if nothing else. A friend's roommate took the course, and he was in class for I don't know how many weekends--it seemed like a lot--often coming home exhausted. It sounded mildly interesting, but I got the impression it was better suited for more athletic, perhaps more driven types than me.

15 years before I took the certification course, it was apparently much harder, more physically demanding if nothing else. A friend's roommate took the course, and he was in class for I don't know how many weekends--it seemed like a lot--often coming home exhausted. It sounded mildly interesting, but I got the impression it was better suited for more athletic, perhaps more driven types than me.
I took the long version of the class and loved it. Had classes all winter. Classes and pool for like twelve weeks. I didn’t find it hard, but I was a distance runner at the time, so conditioning wasn’t a big issue. Took the AI class in college and was also a good time for an entire semester.

It really IS as expensive as it seems. Actually it's even worse than it seemed like it was going to be.
but
Buck up camper, it's worth every penny.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

---Dylan Thomas

I started diving in late middle age. I contented myself with recreational diving in locations around the world for years before becoming an instructor with the idea of having something interesting to do in retirement. So far so good.

Then I learned a little about technical diving. It intrigued me, but I did not pursue it because by then I was too old for something like that. I did not start technical training until it was nearly forced upon me by circumstances. I soon realized I was not too old after all.

Cave diving also intrigued me, but I did not pursue it because I was by then too old. I did not start cave training until I had had enough technical diving training to realize that maybe, just maybe, I was not too old. I wasn't.

Living in Colorado, I had very few opportunities for either technical diving or cave diving. There was really only one site within reasonable distance, and I had no nearby teammates. One solution would be to become a technical instructor and create my own nearby teammates, but I did not pursue it because I was by then too old. Eventually I just did it. It turned out I was not too old. I now have a pile of trimix divers I can join for good, fun diving.

So, my lesson to my younger self is not to be too ready to consign yourself to life in a recliner. Do not go gentle into that good night.

-START WITH A BACKPLATE WING!!!!....Keep in mind the most expensive is not necessarily the BEST !
-Invest in the BEST regulator you can afford...No worries...eventually you can move up if you need to.
-Purchase a computer that fits your needs with perhaps some options that will accommodate you as you gain experience . Bells and Whistles are fun and snazzy, but not always needed for your style of diving. ( Why pay for options you don't really need.)
-If you opt for an Air Integrated set up, do dive with a basic redundant non-integrated gauge
-The BEST Wetsuit, Mask or the Best Fins are also not necessarily the most expensive product or Brand Name.
-When choosing a Dive Op...Do your research...After you have listened to and read about everyone's "BEST", narrow your options down to what you feel are the TOP 3 -5 ops. Then, contact them DIRECTLY with your questions. If the first 3-5 don't work out...move on to the next 3-5 ops.
-Focus first on Buoyancy (Starting with that BPW will help...Tremendously !!) -TAKE YOUR TIME AS YOU MOVE UP IN THE RANKS !!!! Get some dives under your belt before rushing into the next certification. Instead use the money you would spend on quicky certifications to purchase that BPW and Better Reg !!! In time, you will have more confidence and skill and will enjoy the journey more ! Also, keep in mind, having that advanced certification or Specialty card DOES NOT necessarily make you a better diver. There are MANY divers with MANY.... MANY.... MANY logged dives who carry only a Good Ole Basic certification. On the other hand, there are Divemasters who have not acquired hard and true experience and the confidence to accomplish what is expected of them. As a VIP Cozumel Divemaster advised me 18 years ago: Start with Basic Open Water and log 50 dives->then move on to Advanced->Then, Follow with RESCUE once you are VERY confident with skill and buoyancy. Some folks acquire these skills quicker than others, just be patient and once you "Get it" you will know when it is time for RESCUE. Oh, and ....Be sure to find an Instructor that will put you through a Rescue certification that will challenge you. You want to come out of Rescue knowing you EARNED this card. Then, when you are ready, and have tried and true experience, you will be ready to move on to Divemaster and the responsibilities that come with it. Overall, give yourself the opportunity to enjoy the journey.
-And ....Pay attention to Diving Etiquette, Streamline your gear and Follow Marine Park Rules!

Best Wishes to all and Happy Diving !! :)
Double S

I took the long version of the class and loved it. Had classes all winter. Classes and pool for like twelve weeks. I didn’t find it hard, but I was a distance runner at the time, so conditioning wasn’t a big issue. Took the AI class in college and was also a good time for an entire semester.
Out of curiosity, how much was that 12 week course back then? Translate to today's dollars?

You’re going to be exploring the subtidal alone, and in junky rental gear. With the surface 20 feet away, and the rocky shore under 100 feet away, it’ll be tempting to assume the best thing to do if anything goes wrong is to blow and go. But take a moment first to try to fix the problem where you are. When you’re older and get back into diving, and anxiety spikes, you’ll appreciate having developed that habit instead of running for the surface automatically

Back
Top Bottom