Razor Sidemount Helmet and torch system, feedback wanted, thx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphahorn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
New to sidemount and looking for a helmet and torches. Has anyone tried Razor's helment and or lights? Thanks for the feedback

Why do you feel the need for a sidemount helmet?
Are you talking about the canister lights or the backup lights? If canister, I'd question why you think you need a canister, but in either instance I would buy from a manufacturer that is a reputable light manufacturer and ideally one that has a history of good customer service, Razor does not IME apply for either of those qualifications. You can get much higher quality lights in that price bracket that are made in USA.

I would look at Dive Rite LX20+ for early cave diving. I just bought one to supplement my UWLD lights when I don't want to deal with the canister, and their backup lights are quite good as well.

The helmet does make a nice place to mount backup lights in sidemount, but in this case the Razor is 2x the cost of the Light Monkey which is the exact same helmet....

Helmets in sidemount don't seem all that necessary, just wear a hood.

Why not drill some holes in a standard cheap 'climbing' helmet (where you've removed the polystyrene) and tie off some bungee loops for some normal hand torches? Simple and cheap. Minor challenge is to get the holes in the right place.

Works well when working with your hands; tie-offs, etc.

If you like the Razor helmet/lights and want to wear a helmet, then you should do so.
I cave in Mexico where its very common to see helmets.
I dont have a Razor helmet but have the Light Monkey. I have the Razor light mounts for helmet and hand.
It is really nice being able to very quickly attach my primary can light to the helment when I want two free hands for a task.

Exiting caves blind without a helmet would be no fun. I bumped my head more than once (yes my forearm was properly extended out front). **** happens.

Have not heard great things about support for the razor light. Long repair times and intermittent email contact.

The helmet is almost double the LM price for the same thing

Bought a Light Monkey helmet for overhead diving. Ridiculously small and overpriced; sent it straight back for a refund.

Bought a simple *cheap* no-name climbing helmet for a quarter of the price of the LM. Took the polystyrene block out and it works wonderfully. Best thing is there's vents at the back of the head where the air accumulates. The other mod is to cut off the chin strap and put some bungee in it's place. Also drilled some holes for a couple of dive lights tied on with bungee.

End result was a great helmet that works in cold water due to the bungee strap, it fits over a thick hood and you hardly notice in the water.

IMG_6137.jpg
IMG_6138.jpg
IMG_6139.jpg

The chin strap's cut off and a bungee tied on.

Unless you’re using sm to dive very small cave you don’t need a helmet. My buddy used to use one for years. He used a pelzel helmet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom